• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#16 impactfb

impactfb
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 05:17 PM

No I agree!

I will be happy to post the key codes I have for the same reason if anyone wants them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I sure could use the unlocking code to re-install my speed razor 5.51
I use Digisuite LE and for some odd reason I can not render a Matrox avi of the timeline. everything else works fine. I can render mpeg 1 and 2 or Microsoft avi, but not the matrox avi. This is a real problem. MATROX says it must be a SR problem and maybe I should re-install SR.

I am afraid to uninstall SR and try to reinstall. I may end up with nothing!

HELP!?
impactfb

#17 Ray Smithers

Ray Smithers

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 05:40 PM

I would suggest you start a fresh install on another computer or on another drive to be sure you can indeed re-install.

I will send you the codes I have in private Email. If anyone else needs Speed Razor codes them please post here.

#18 buttle

buttle

Piglet

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 03:50 PM

Good Heavens... Now this is truly a sight 4 sore eyes!!! Good shot RAY! You deserve a medal. I had long given up hope of any more SR discussions... no matter where it came from.

I have been an ardent fan of SR since the very beginning (96-97-98??). I got introduced via the DPS PAR board and automatically adopted SR when I upgraded to the Perception Card w/PFX. I probably joined pigsfly in '98 or '99 because I sourced my hardware & software direct from US to South Africa and had only myself to rely on for making this stuff cook.

I was very distressed to hear that in:sync probably no more... I can't believe it, with such a good clean well priced product? I have endured much ridicule over the last seven years concerning my choice of NLE but I still firmly believe that I definitely made the right choice... considering what it cost me and the quality it delivers. In fact my version of SR is so bullet proof that I have chosen to ignore all new flavours of MSWins... beginnig w/ 95! I have stuck with NT4 SP3 then SP6 because of SR. I'm still running 3.51 h and it absolutlely rocks. I have never been asked to do anything that I couldn't get done on my old dual P3 system. The only thing that I really wish I could do is output to mpeg. I have skimmed the usual support networks a couple of times over the last three years but have usually met with dead ends and I lost interest. Maybe someone can let me know... can any of the later versions render directly to mpeg1&2?

I have absolutely no wish to migrate to XP and Premier as I only use batch capture to control VTR's not mini-cams. Sorry... I refuse to redesign the wheel when it isn't nearly broke!!!

regards
peter butler, designZoo

#19 Ray Smithers

Ray Smithers

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 05:25 PM

Wow BaylorHog I just got around to your message. I have much the same issues as you. We also have lots of BetaSP on the shelf and Premiere Pro is all digital (like most everything now).

I would suggest two solutions. One is MultiBridge (not shipping yet) that reads ANY kind of input yet saves it as digital in PP. The other is Axio from Matrox. There are two flavors, one SD and one HD. Both will read and PLAY Digisuite files from the past!

For my money the CG in PP is as good as anything out there. I am blown away that they put so much time into it.

My I suggest that if you are anything like me you need to really jump intot the deep end of the pool to experience software. Some one once told me that the only way really learn your way around is drive to the center of town to get lost, then find your way back. I think editing software is much the same. You can't really "test drive" it you need to take a long trip.

You might consider doing a real project in PP, that way you will really get to know it.

Thanks for your kinds words about our forum.

Nice to have you aboard, and sorry it took me so long to answer.

Ray

#20 Ray Smithers

Ray Smithers

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 05:36 PM

Good Heavens... Now this is truly a sight 4 sore eyes!!! Good shot RAY! You deserve a medal. I had long given up hope of any more SR discussions... no matter where it came from.

I have been an ardent fan of SR since the very beginning (96-97-98??). I got introduced via the DPS PAR board and automatically adopted SR when I upgraded to the Perception Card w/PFX. I probably joined pigsfly in '98 or '99 because I sourced my hardware & software direct from US to South Africa and had only myself to rely on for making this stuff cook.

I was very distressed to hear that in:sync probably no more... I can't believe it, with such a good clean well priced product? I have endured much ridicule over the last seven years concerning my choice of NLE but I still firmly believe that I definitely made the right choice... considering what it cost me and the quality it delivers. In fact my version of SR is so bullet proof that I have chosen to ignore all new flavours of MSWins... beginnig w/ 95! I have stuck with NT4 SP3 then SP6 because of SR. I'm still running 3.51 h and it absolutlely rocks. I have never been asked to do anything that I couldn't get done on my old dual P3 system. The only thing that I really wish I could do is output to mpeg. I have skimmed the usual support networks a couple of times over the last three years but have usually met with dead ends and I lost interest. Maybe someone can let me know... can any of the later versions render directly to mpeg1&2?

I have absolutely no wish to migrate to XP and Premier as I only use batch capture to control VTR's not mini-cams. Sorry... I refuse to redesign the wheel when it isn't nearly broke!!!

regards
peter butler, designZoo

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for your post Peter.

I turns out a lot of folks are still using SR and lot of us sure wish it were still around.

Fact is that software like Premiere Pro is starting to actually move past where SR left off. I know a lot of people hate to hear that but I for one think it is true.

Lots of things are about to happen Peter that will force a lot of folks to upgrade nearly everything they own. Within a year we will all be running 64bit software on Vista and trust me (I am running a beta) you will love it.

If you remember the pain of migrating from 16 to 32 bit, ouch that hurt. The software emulators just did not work, so then you had to beg to get vendors to rewrite code in 32 bit.

Fact is that 64 bit is here just in time. In time for HD. In a recent study it is predicted that 7 our of 10 television sets purchased will be HD in only a bit more then 10 years.

In the next year nearly ten major cable/sat networks are going HD. That means those who want to sell to these markets will need to produce in HD.

Keep your eye on people like Gates and others for a lower cost HD spot playback system. THAT will determine how fast local stations demand spots in HD.

Anyway glad you have joined us. Good luck with SR and keep us posted as to how it is holding up.

Ray

#21 LaserEd

LaserEd

Piglet

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 November 2005 - 07:30 PM

Hello..I am a complete Speed Razor newbie. Long story short...A friend of mine's partner (somewhat independantly wealthy) had two Speed Razor systems they were actually thinking of throwing away or sticking in the closet. I now have them.. Got one up and running SR version 4.8 I think.

Big problem...only ONE dongle for the two machines!

Someone mentioned keylock codes or something? These are older Pentium 300mhz machines running WinNT.

I *think* I have a Matrox card or something (please be kind...I'm new!) Would upgrading to faster Pentium CPUs help with render times on transitions/effects or is that all done with the graphics card? It is a dual CPU set up.

I am (still) an old Amiga user doing live visuals at a concert venue with a 3 1/2 story backdrop screen... Speed Razor would be great for making some special FX vids to use. (I still love bands coming up and wondering what system using and watching their mouths drop when I say "These are 13 year old Amigas running at 33 and 50 mhz.)

Lastly....How can I take a clip that I've modified and make it appear in the Library window--or save it to disk to load into the Library later? I hate having to keep modifying the clip when I want to use it elsewheres (besides cut/paste.)

Thanks you all in ADVANCE!

I'll have lotsa questions!

Laser Ed

#22 buttle

buttle

Piglet

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 05:15 PM

Oh yess... this is something I have been dreaming about for quite a while! I don't know if SR (after 3.51) has done anything about it.

SO.. I select the frames on the timeline (containing the clip/effect) then go FILE/Export to a File(Selected area)/SETUP- choose your native video file format, name it and remember where you save it to. Then go to your library and import it into the lib.

Hope that helps

#23 Doug Collins

Doug Collins

Flying Pig

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 08:26 PM

Thanks for reviving this branch of the Ranch. I thought this list would only be revived when pigs fly... Oh yeah, right.

I was more disappointed with the demise of this user group than I was with the demise of In-sync. I still check in occassionally, particularly when I get an email notification that a topic has been posted... which leads me to my next point. Why is it that I don't consistently get email notification of posted topics? I thought I had the preferences selected in "My Controls", but the notification seems random. That's why I'm finding out a month late that this group is being revived.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Doug Collins

#24 Ray Smithers

Ray Smithers

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 08:34 PM

Thanks for reviving this branch of the Ranch.  I thought this list would only be revived when pigs fly... Oh yeah, right.

I was more disappointed with the demise of this user group than I was with the demise of In-sync.  I still check in occassionally, particularly when I get an email notification that a topic has been posted... which leads me to my next point.  Why is it that I don't consistently get email notification of posted topics?  I thought I had the preferences selected in "My Controls",  but the notification seems random.  That's why I'm finding out a month late that this group is being revived.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Doug Collins

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey Doug nice to see you post and thanks for the answer.

RE: email, I had the same problem for a bit. I unchecked the subscribe then re-subscribed and it seemed to fix it.

BTW we (over the next two weeks) are improving the board and installing an upgrade that may very will fix that problem. So, hang in there if you will.

BTW what editor are you using rather than SR??

#25 Doug Collins

Doug Collins

Flying Pig

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 10:52 PM

Thanks for reviving this branch of the Ranch.  I thought this list would only be revived when pigs fly... Oh yeah, right.

I was more disappointed with the demise of this user group than I was with the demise of In-sync.  I still check in occassionally, particularly when I get an email notification that a topic has been posted... which leads me to my next point.  Why is it that I don't consistently get email notification of posted topics?  I thought I had the preferences selected in "My Controls",  but the notification seems random.  That's why I'm finding out a month late that this group is being revived.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Doug Collins

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey Doug nice to see you post and thanks for the answer.

RE: email, I had the same problem for a bit. I unchecked the subscribe then re-subscribed and it seemed to fix it.

BTW we (over the next two weeks) are improving the board and installing an upgrade that may very will fix that problem. So, hang in there if you will.

BTW what editor are you using rather than SR??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ray,

I got an email notification of my own email, but not of your reply. I noticed in the notification that it states, "There may be more replies to this topic, but only 1 email is sent per board visit for each subscribed topic." This must be the problem. Can it be adjusted? I don't really need notification of my own post. Only because I checked back did I know you replied.

I will hang in as I always have, but unless I think of it, I don't log into check for new messages that frequently.

The other editor I am using is Liquid Edition (now Avid Edition). It is a capable editor, but very resource hungry. I can crash it easier than Razor, but it has a constant save feature, so at least I don't lose my work. I just drink more coffee.

I still prefer Razor, despite its Batch Capture shortcomings. However, as I recently purchased the HVR ZU1, and if I am going to move toward HDV, I need to say goodbye to Razor. I chose Edition because I was able to buy a second version for half price. I don't think it's the best choice (although I may change my mind with an upgrade) but it is the path of least resistance for me right now.

Thanks for keeping this thing going,

Doug Collins

#26 rolly

rolly

Piglet

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 10:57 AM

thanks guys ... every one of you who uses DPS / SR and bothered to post into this topic ... i was beggning to feel ancient with my set-up until i reassured myself others were using this as well

i use version 4 of speed razor and hittimng "about: brings up a screen that only states "Build : Feb 12 1998" ! told you i was feeling ancient !!

must be honest this setup has worked quite well for the last 6 years that iv owned it ... though i also feel the time to move is ripe especialy with the newer HD format being launched in comnsumer market soon ?

anyone out there who can assist me to upgrade my current setup ? i currently have ;

DPS Perception Board
A4V Board
EFX accelartor Board
Speed Razor (Ver ???)
TV Paint
Digital Fusion (ver 2 build Oct 23 1997)

please assist
ROLLY CHOUDRIE

#27 Doug Collins

Doug Collins

Flying Pig

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 01:52 PM

thanks guys ... every one of you who uses DPS / SR and bothered to post into this topic ... i was beggning to feel ancient with my set-up until i reassured myself others were using this as well

i use version 4 of speed razor and hittimng "about: brings up a screen that only states "Build : Feb 12 1998" ! told you i was feeling ancient !!

must be honest this setup has worked quite well for the last 6 years that iv owned it ... though i also feel the time to move is ripe especialy with the newer HD format being launched in comnsumer market soon ?

anyone out there who can assist me to upgrade my current setup ? i currently have ;

DPS Perception Board
A4V Board
EFX accelartor Board
Speed Razor (Ver ???)
TV Paint

please assist
ROLLY CHOUDRIE

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Rolly,

What kind of assistance are you looking for? Do you want to stay with Speed Razor? With the company out of business, this is a deadend street, but an upgrade to version 5.5 is readily available. However, the ethics (and perhaps legality) of utilitizing the available key generator to unlock the version is up for debate.

If you are asking about other software choices, you should probably include an upgrade to your computer as well. Most new editing platforms are DV based and rely heavily on processor power to work well. As far as recommendations, I have none as I am sort of in the market for upgrade myself. I am gradually migrating over to Liquid Edition (now Avid Liquid) because I found it the most cost efficient.

I have demo'ed the very popular Vegas Video and found it affordable, effective and with minimal demand on CPU resources. I would probably buy it if I didn't already have Liquid.

Others will recommend Premier Pro which runs on the new Matrox Axio system. I have heard good things about this system, but you will pay more for it. Eduis is another alternative and if you have a MAC, Final Cut is very popular.

I'd be happy to share any other findings as I search for future solutions, but I'm sure there are many others with more experience to offer recommendations. Unfortunately, most people will just recommend the system they are using.

Good luck,

Doug Collins

#28 Ray Smithers

Ray Smithers

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 11:09 PM

DPS Perception Board
A4V Board
EFX accelartor Board
Speed Razor (Ver ???)
TV Paint

please assist
ROLLY CHOUDRIE

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Rolly,

What kind of assistance are you looking for? Do you want to stay with Speed Razor? With the company out of business, this is a deadend street, but an upgrade to version 5.5 is readily available. However, the ethics (and perhaps legality) of utilitizing the available key generator to unlock the version is up for debate.

If you are asking about other software choices, you should probably include an upgrade to your computer as well. Most new editing platforms are DV based and rely heavily on processor power to work well. As far as recommendations, I have none as I am sort of in the market for upgrade myself. I am gradually migrating over to Liquid Edition (now Avid Liquid) because I found it the most cost efficient.

I have demo'ed the very popular Vegas Video and found it affordable, effective and with minimal demand on CPU resources. I would probably buy it if I didn't already have Liquid.

Others will recommend Premier Pro which runs on the new Matrox Axio system. I have heard good things about this system, but you will pay more for it. Eduis is another alternative and if you have a MAC, Final Cut is very popular.

I'd be happy to share any other findings as I search for future solutions, but I'm sure there are many others with more experience to offer recommendations. Unfortunately, most people will just recommend the system they are using.

Good luck,

Doug Collins

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can not agree with Doug on the issue of using the key generator. I would do it in a heartbeat. Jamie Carr is nowhere to be found nor is In:Sync so please tell me who would give you any trouble. You are indeed a paying customer who was abandon by the vendor, and were left in a lurch.

But Doug is right it is a dead end. I strongly would suggest Premiere Pro. In many ways it is very much like the old Razor we knew and loved. Poke around the Internet and you will find a copy REALLY cheap. Reason is Adobe is about to issue a major uprade and dealers are selling off inventory for nearly nothing. I just purchased both versions 1.0 and 1.5 of Adobe Encore for $150!!!!

I have seen a lot of work done with Vegas and am not impressed (just IMHO). I thought many effects looked chunky and the key sucks.

Good luck.

Thanks to both Doug and Rolly for posting.

Ray

#29 Doug Collins

Doug Collins

Flying Pig

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 03:31 AM

DPS Perception Board
A4V Board
EFX accelartor Board
Speed Razor (Ver ???)
TV Paint

please assist
ROLLY CHOUDRIE

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Rolly,

Good luck,

Doug Collins

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can not agree with Doug on the issue of using the key generator. I would do it in a heartbeat. Jamie Carr is nowhere to be found nor is In:Sync so please tell me who would give you any trouble. You are indeed a paying customer who was abandon by the vendor, and were left in a lurch.

But Doug is right it is a dead end. I strongly would suggest Premiere Pro. In many ways it is very much like the old Razor we knew and loved. Poke around the Internet and you will find a copy REALLY cheap. Reason is Adobe is about to issue a major uprade and dealers are selling off inventory for nearly nothing. I just purchased both versions 1.0 and 1.5 of Adobe Encore for $150!!!!

I have seen a lot of work done with Vegas and am not impressed (just IMHO). I thought many effects looked chunky and the key sucks.

Good luck.

Thanks to both Doug and Rolly for posting.

Ray

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ray,

I don't see how you can disagree with me on the issue of using the key generator. I said the issue was up for debate. By disagreeing you are debating, thus confirming my point.

Yes, I'm laughing as I say this. I have had read the ethical debates and could care less about the legal debate. I have a copy of the key gen standing by in the "event of an emergency" and would cast all ethics aside (if I was harbouring any) to get a project completed.

On another note from a separate topic, I now seem to be getting email notification of postings now, so I'm enjoying more activity with this list. Thanks for keeping this thing going.

Best regards,

Doug Collins

#30 alpay

alpay

Piglet

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 07:33 AM

Hello all, I'm an old pigrancher and SR user... I haven't been around these parts in ages. I was sad when I recently had to nuke my Perception system (the damn thing kept working for years without a hitch, I wanted to start with a fresh registry) and looked to see what the latest version of SR is... rude awakening.

I sit down with Premiere occasionally and STILL try to shift drag clips to make copies. grrr.

I was thinking of looking towards Liquid since Avid bought it up and I could namedrop Avid as one of my software apps here. I'm thinking twice now from what I read above.

Laser Ed:
I do visuals for nightclubs and concerts too. I even use the Amiga (Pangolin) for my Laser Show. contact me off list if you're interested in talkin' business. alpay-at-smvisuals-dot-com

Rolly:
You practically described my exact set up, down to the ancient version of DF :)

Alpay

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users