#16 hinzkuntz

hinzkuntz

Advanced Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 03:38 PM

great idea!!!
hope they will implement it in the next release.
never saw such a great tool in any compositing app.

#17 Splin

Splin

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 01:04 PM

Very nice job, seems to be pretty waterproof concept!
Yes please add functionalities like that, that at last would make those AFX quys behind my back quiet. Some simple keyframing & animation jobs are still too much pain. As you have chosen the path to integrate more and more 3D, it would make sense to bring over also some animation workflows what are tested over long years and what are really working in 3D world. Users far from 3D world will learn and be generally happy, others will only be happy finding same concepts before them :)
Looking forward to it!

#18 chuk

chuk

Piglet

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 09:21 AM

I hope Eyeon will take it to next release!
So useful options, thanks Gringo!

#19 Daniel Koch

Daniel Koch

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 02:40 AM

It does look nice, I agree.

Now if only coding it was even close to as easy as photoshopping it :-)

Incidentally, views like this can be written as third-party plugins, with our SDK. You could probably even do it with scripting, in a pop-up window with IUP controls...

#20 SalaTar

SalaTar

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 03:44 PM

Incidentally, views like this can be written as third-party plugins, with our SDK. You could probably even do it with scripting, in a pop-up window with IUP controls...

Yet the documentation is a bit sparce... :P

#21 SecondMan

SecondMan

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 07:56 AM

REALLY?? :mf_w00t2: Boy, if only I could spend a bit more time checking that out... Allright, here's my first NY resolution from the list I wasn't going to make... ;)

#22 Gringo

Gringo

Associate Administrator

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 01:17 PM

Thank you all for attention and good responses! :)

Photoshopping and contriving wasn't so easy too :)

Yes, I believe that Fusion scripting is powerful enough, but I never used it before :(
So if Eyeon think this tool is useful, I can make a detailed concept as text with .xls tables and all pictures that are needed for development.

#23 alt

alt

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 06:19 PM

Yes please add functionalities like that, that at last would make those AFX quys behind my back quiet. Some simple keyframing & animation jobs are still too much pain. As you have chosen the path to integrate more and more 3D, it would make sense to bring over also some animation workflows what are tested over long years and what are really working in 3D world.

Seconded!
Animation&keyframing toolset are a big priority for me (being an animator). XSI handles animation tasks very well, I would think some of that functionality would be godsent for motion graphics. Maybe some kind of keyframe retiming sheet for a set of parameters and possibility to group spline sequences (for example for some animation loop) and then controller splines for mixing those sequences with each other.

After Effects is very versatile, as it's good even for 2d cut-out animation.

#24 xmare

xmare

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 03:43 AM

Hi!
IMHO Fu is much better with animation and splines then ae, You just have to know Your way... The problem I had i AE is position spline - velocity to time axis....please.... when someone has bg in 3d app such representation is ridiculous and not user friendly :D

cheers

#25 alt

alt

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 09:27 AM

IMHO Fu is much better with animation and splines then ae, You just have to know Your way... The problem I had i AE is position spline - velocity to time axis....please.... when someone has bg in 3d app such representation is ridiculous and not user friendly :D

AE splines are horrible! Truly horrible! But it's very easy to animate to manage keyframes and timing in AE (even if splines are beyond comprehension).
What I like about AE is that everything that is animated about an object (like transparency, motion etc) is in same place and showed on timeline for nice overview. I don't need to drag the flow to view the properties for particular tool.
XSI has view called dopesheet and in cel animation packages xsheets provide similar overview. I would think it's possible to automagically generate some kind of xsheet from flowgraph. Would be nice!

#26 xmare

xmare

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 10:30 AM

heh...
Like i said - You have to know Your way... i used ae a lot.... it's nice to have a shortcut to show all Your keys within a layer /property.. which AFAIK Fu hasn't, also Fu has some problems with updating properties - when sth isn't animated and You just add a key to it, it is not updated in timeline and spline..

nice thing is spreadsheet in timeline window... :D
have fun..
animating in fu is waay different than in ae...

#27 Gringo

Gringo

Associate Administrator

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 09:48 PM

and then controller splines for mixing those sequences with each other.

You can mix animation with expressions.

What I like about AE is that everything that is animated about an object (like transparency, motion etc) is in same place and showed on timeline for nice overview. I don't need to drag the flow to view the properties for particular tool.

Doesn't the Timeline shows the same in Sel mode?

#28 FredP

FredP

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 05:01 PM

Ok, Seriously good suggestion. That would make everyones life so much easier...

I WISH i could have that functionality now!!

hae you specifically sent these over to our friends at eyeon?

Fred

#29 Gringo

Gringo

Associate Administrator

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 05:27 PM

Ok, Seriously good suggestion. That would make everyones life so much easier...

I WISH i could have that functionality now!!

hae you specifically sent these over to our friends at eyeon?

Fred

Yes, this idea came to me long ago and I have written some times about it.
There is a string concerning the sheet in the public Wishlist at http://vfxpedia.com/...?title=Wishlist

This functionality could add another benefit to Fusion in comparison to other compositing packages.
But unfortunately, I get no positive answear from Eyeon.

Maybe, someone who is familiar with scripting or who can create plugins wants to help to implement this tool?

#30 FredP

FredP

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 08:42 PM

I suppose it could be done with scripting and IUP but I doubt it would be very effective then. All the Interfaces I have scene with IUP are slow, lag and do not impress me. Besides, I think in order for it to work the way this concept is proposed, it must live as a tab on the interface. Not a popup window or script.

Lightwave once had a spreadsheet functionality like this, and it started off as a third party plugin, but eventually newtek had to integrate it because it was so useful. We all know it would be useful, lets cut out the third-party middle man ;)

I dont recall anyone in this thread saying it would be easy, but it would be great to start considering something like this for the future.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Requests, Sketches

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users