8 replies to this topic

#1 drswoboda

drswoboda

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 04:07 PM

I have had no success trying to use the Shader node with the Text3D node to try and get reflections in the text, in the same way that Flame appears to do 3D text with reflections. Is there a way to do this besides just piping in a texture and mucking it around to look like its reflected? With the Text3D node I would have thought that it would have UV coordinates to allow these tools to work together.

Any pointers welcome.
-David

#2 xmare

xmare

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 07:16 AM

Hi!
Actually with Shader node You need Normals information (uv works with Texture node). Since Fusion's 3D renderer doesn't output Normals info, this can't be done in such way..

But try either the Displace or Displace 3D tool - those may give You some results, depends on what You want

Or sth simpler: create second 3d network with instanced Text3d node and the same camera. in Shading tab deinstance material, select the image input, and pipe Your "reflection" either as type material or bevel material or both (must have "use one material" unchecked). Merge the reflction output onto rendered text3D as "screen" or "overlay". This one probably needs some tweaking, but also may work.

Hope this will help You a bit

cheers

#3 theotheo

theotheo

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 08:37 AM

One way of doing it, is the same way we do it whenever we need to do relighting to 3d items that doesn't output normals (volumetrics f.eks) , is to do a coloured light setup, where you give three lights different colours based on their directions. Then you just bool the rendered colour image to the xyz normal pass and you can do relighting and all the crazy stuff.

You could also pipe an BG node that have the similar colorsetup as planes and grids would have UV cords and pipe it into the image input of the 3dtextnodes. And with the same procedure as above, you could retexture and quite possibly fake reflections by screening the newly branched UV pass over the rendered image.

Maybe im just talking outta my ass again :)

-the0

#4 xmare

xmare

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 09:06 AM

Nice one theotheo!!!

#5 makal

makal

Power Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 01:56 PM

As a last resort - I mean, a last resort to ignite some discussion about my unorthodox methods :) - try my crafted-for-the-occasion ctnormal macro, a byproduct (should I say crossproduct? ok, terrible joke) of my relighting efforts. Turn on Z in the Renderer3D, pipe it to the macro, link camera transforms and voilą normal channels ready for Shader. Problem is - as I mentioned elsewhere - it will probably kind of suck due to Z tessellation, but a Filter/defocus could do the trick.
Buone cose.

Attached File  CTNormal.zip   1.32KB   36 downloads

#6 theotheo

theotheo

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 03:17 PM

That's a good one Makal, i did a similar macro, allthough probably alot simpler, just using some convolutionfilters and tricks i was able to extract normal information from just zdepth images. However the results were rather unpredictable sometimes :)

Thanks for the macro man!

-the0

#7 drswoboda

drswoboda

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 04:53 PM

Hey thanks for the pointers everyone. I'll check out the ideas here.

It would be nice to have environmnet reflections in the Text3D. I understand in Flame it is more a motion graphics thing than a film compositing thing in Fusion. Would be nice. . .
-David

#8 makal

makal

Power Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 05:52 PM

That's a good one Makal, i did a similar macro, allthough probably alot simpler, just using some convolutionfilters and tricks i was able to extract normal information from just zdepth images. However the results were rather unpredictable sometimes :)

Thanks for the macro man!

-the0

You're welcome! :) yep, thinking about it the normal thing is really not much more than a convolution, although I can't quite figure how to do it in that fashion - the hard part for me was getting from View-space to World-space coordinates. Hey, if you want to do something in exchange, AND you have some spare minutes (which, I understand, most often is not the case...) would you mind testing the whole thing (I mean, the macro) that lies unnoticed here? I know, for one, that there's a (hopefully minor) problem with unprojection, but it's very likely not the only one... and it looks like I couldn't get much of a feedback in the other topic. ANY feedback is much welcome, but if you don't have time, no prob and thanks anyway.

Ciao!

#9 theotheo

theotheo

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 03:38 AM

Makal,

I took your relighting tool for a spin on one of our scenes, and even without supplying any 3d camera data (alltough it was harder to predict the results :) ) it worked very well. Let me know if you'd like the testfiles aswell.
I've tried to create a relighting tool too, but i failed miserably :) But one thing you should add to yours is the on-screen controls for adjusting direction. Just customtools points or something.
Keep up the good work man!

-the0

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users