There's An Echo In Here.....

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 gts

gts
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 07:58 PM

Boy, step outside for a cigarette......10, 12 years rush by......step back inside to see who's around and the place is empty. Hello-o-o-o !!!! Where'd everybody go? Hey, remember the fun we had, the optimism. Arguing the virtues of SR4 over 3.8. Putting together the Pig's Fly video.... those were the good old days.

Should I turn out the light or is it on a timer?

Glenn Suprenard

#2 Ray Smithers

Ray Smithers

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 12:39 AM

A bit late with my answer BUT...

Yep most people have moved to other software. I moved to Premiere Pro a long time ago and love it. What are you using?

#3 dv411_alexei

dv411_alexei

Piglet

• Adv Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 11:41 PM

Yep most people have moved to other software. I moved to Premiere Pro a long time ago and love it. What are you using?

What a blast from the past... :)

Hello Ray, hello Glenn!

We (DV411) certainly don't sell Razor systems any more - although we did get a call a while ago from a Razor/Perception editor still on Windows NT 4.0! (insert incredulous smilie here)

It's mostly Adobe (Win/Mac) and FCP systems, with Aja hardware, and occasional Avids and Axio LEs.

Good to see good ole pigs still flying... :)

#4 Ray Smithers

Ray Smithers

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 12:10 AM

Hey Alexei, SO nice to hear from you.

You and people like you are a part of the history of this business. For all you buyers out there www.DV411.com is a great outfit and so is the boss (Alexei).

Ray

#5 Akira01

Akira01

Piglet

• Adv Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 06:52 AM

test

#6 Ray Smithers

Ray Smithers

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 12:29 PM

test

ONE, TWO, THREE

#7 NASA-ACSR

NASA-ACSR
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 06:37 PM

Okay, Somebody needs to post here in 2010 so I'll do that. (there appears to be no "zombie thread" rule over here and why should there be???) Some of you probably remember me from the "old days" (Mark Baird BTW). I remember SR and the old lists. And the NAB parties.... And and and....

That was before my days with another piece of software that reminded me a lot of SR. (That being Incite). Great ideas, great interface, really promising, just couldn't make a viable commercial product out of it....

So now my handle says it all. I've drank deep of the purple cool-aid and spend my days babysitting a tempromental brat that gets tons of work done. (as long as it is properly fed, watered, and plied with cash). I'm an acsr onsite at NASAs Johnson Space center with certs in editor, unity, and interplay. fun fun fun....

#8 Ray Smithers

Ray Smithers

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 08:55 PM

Ah yes the really great ideas the should not have been passed over. The steam car, the Tucker, Speed Razor. In so many cases they shot themselves in the foot (or both feet).

Nice to hear from you my friend.

#9 Dan Eley

Dan Eley

Piglet

• Adv Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 09:08 AM

Wow! I had no idea this forum was still in business. I moved from SR to the NewTek VT series. I'm now editing my first project on Sony Vegas. I can't believe I am doing a full-blown project on a laptop (with a 1tb ext. drive that cost $100). I remember the thrill of getting a 3 gig drive for $2,000.

A couple of memories: The WSPA PSAs. A bunch of people signed-up to do it, but only a few a us actually followed through. Dead-eye Doug Hembruff - banned, pie-in-the-face and back again. I'm sure that wherever he is, he is fighting with someone. I always respected his expertise though.

This was a good chance for me to remember the love-hate relationship that we all had with SR.

Dan Eley

#10 dv411_alexei

dv411_alexei

Piglet

• Adv Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 03:21 PM

Wow! I had no idea this forum was still in business. I moved from SR to the NewTek VT series. I'm now editing my first project on Sony Vegas. I can't believe I am doing a full-blown project on a laptop (with a 1tb ext. drive that cost $100). I remember the thrill of getting a 3 gig drive for $2,000.

Dan! Good to see you here!

Yeah there were times when CD writers cost a grand and watching a decent quality video on a cell phone was an idea akin to having a date with Halle Berry: not only technically impossible but also very laughable.

SR, with all of its shortcomings, can still be seen as the best NLE concept ever. Does anyone else besides SR let effects and transitions have their own tracks?

Alex.

P.S. Can you guys see a possibility that future editing will be done not locally but over broadband? (Youtube already has an online editor in works, I think.)

#11 Ray Smithers

Ray Smithers

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 04:05 PM

A couple of memories: The WSPA PSAs. A bunch of people signed-up to do it, but only a few a us actually followed through. Dead-eye Doug Hembruff - banned, pie-in-the-face and back again. I'm sure that wherever he is, he is fighting with someone. I always respected his expertise though.

This was a good chance for me to remember the love-hate relationship that we all had with SR.

Dan Eley

Dan SO kewl to see you here. Yes we moved to this format right after we cut all ties with S.R. We all think it was a terrible shame that SR did not live on. Just think what the product might be today. The two fatal errors were letting Eron Cohen go then buying out the man who created SR... Jack. We wonder what Jamie was thinking or if he even was.

We now use Premiere Pro and with the new Mercury engine, it kicks ass. Five layers of 5k Red footage and playback in real time!

Speaking of hard drives our first was a 10 meg (really) on an 80286 and it cost a bundle! Yikes what a world!

Maybe we should have a reunion some day!

Warmest regards...

#12 Jerry Trowbridge

Jerry Trowbridge

Flying Pig

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 03:06 PM

It's so easy now that "digital intermediate" is a part of nearly every major motion picture credit roll, and YouTube's next big push is to compete with local TV news operations, to forget the days when we were the pioneers and the arrows were flying. How many post houses with banks of Betacams and 1" video recorders made snarky comments about non-linear or fought over 6 missing lines of resolution? How many of the early participants on our mail lists (in the days before CERN gave us the world wide web) were adamant that HD was a pipe-dream?

To me, one of the most significant moments in the rise of the way we do things now, was when we floated the idea of a "Giant Pig Party" to be held at one of the NAB-participating hotels in Las Vegas. We needed NAB's permission, and we weren't sure we were going to get it. Big industry trade associations are always the strongest armies protecting the past against the change leaders; in a lot of areas NAB is still no exception.

So we fully expected an official response that was the genteel version of "are you effing serious? You want to hold an event at a professional video convention for people playing with PC toys?"

To NAB's everlasting credit, they said "yes" right away, and they've steered clear of the change guardians in acquisition and post arguments ever since. Today the fight is over Avid, Premiere or Final Cut, between Arri, Red, and the old-guards like Panasonic and Sony who now offer non-tape acquisition. Plus there's a whole array of consumer products for a few hundred dollars that do better than the 16mm that once was the way you made an indie movie.

This Speedrazor forum with its zombie threads will probably be here for a long time, because its a great place to see old friends and to remember that we all not only saw the biggest change in video since they synced up sound, we participated in the sometimes tortured evolution that got us here.

#13 Jerry Trowbridge

Jerry Trowbridge

Flying Pig

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 03:07 PM

It's so easy now that "digital intermediate" is a part of nearly every major motion picture credit roll, and YouTube's next big push is to compete with local TV news operations, to forget the days when we were the pioneers and the arrows were flying. How many post houses with banks of Betacams and 1" video recorders made snarky comments about non-linear or fought over 6 missing lines of resolution? How many of the early participants on our mail lists (in the days before CERN gave us trhe world wide web) were adamant that HD was a pipe-dream?

To me, one of the most significant moments in the rise of the way we do things now, was when we floated the idea of a "Giant Pig Party" to be held at one of the NAB-participating hotels in Las Vegas. We needed NAB's permission, and we weren't sure we were going to get it. Big industry trade associations are always the strongest armies protecting the past against the change leaders; in a lot of areas NAB is still no exception.

So we fully expected an official response that was the genteel version of "are you effing serious? You want to hold an event at a professional video convention for people playing with PC toys?"

To NAB's everlasting credit, they said "yes" right away, and they've steered clear of the change guardians in acquisition and post arguments ever since. Today the fight is over Avid, Premiere or Final Cut, between Arri, Red, and the old-guards like Panasonic and Sony who now offer non-tape acquisition. Plus there's a whole array of consumer products for a few hundred dollars that do better than the 16mm that once was the way you made an indie movie.

This Speedrazor forum with its zombie threads will probably be here for a long time, because its a great place to see old friends and to remember that we all not only saw the biggest change in video since they synced up sound, we participated in the sometimes tortured evolution that got us here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users