• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 kevin heller

kevin heller

Piglet

• Adv Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 03:48 PM

hi, i want to know what kind of video card i will need to get in order to get tv ntsc out put ,so i can do color correction on tv monitor while working in fusion or after effects and can support hd out put?
there used to be a plugin called TVzeka that let you work on a tv monitor one frame at a time with an average nvidia card with s composite connection, but its been a while since they have been around. does anyone know if TVzeka 1.08 works in fusion or ae cs3 and cs4? is this even needed anymore or do video cards do this standardly now?

last qustion is working in float , is there a video card that supports 32 bit float tv out put?

#2 Sebastian Witkin

Sebastian Witkin

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 09:27 AM

www.decklink.com

#3 kevin heller

kevin heller

Piglet

• Adv Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 07:00 PM

www.decklink.com

thanks, ok so can the decklink hd extreme hook into a tv that has a svideo port , or does it need some sort of adapter ?
does it work well with fusion and after effects? how about nuke 5?
if i get this card with a new pc will i also need a normal video display card like nvidia /ati for open gl direct x use with apps like modo cinema 4d etc or does the decklink also replace that need?

#4 neogeo

neogeo

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 02:49 AM

Hi,
the Decklink cards are used for video output only. You will still need a graphic card for your desktop. I would recommend to connect the decklink card to your tv using comosite (BNC).
The cards do not have an S video option. S video is used in consumer electronics. If you can afford a broadcast monitor connect the card via sdi or component. The signal quality will be much better than composite. Fusion and After Effects are supported atm. For Nuke you have to wait until version 6. They have announced Decklink support some weeks ago.
By the way you can work with Fusion in 32bit float, but the output on a tv in PAL or NTSC will be limited to 8bit per channel.
Hope that helps.
Cheers

#5 kevin heller

kevin heller

Piglet

• Adv Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 02:30 AM

Hi,
the Decklink cards are used for video output only. You will still need a graphic card for your desktop. I would recommend to connect the decklink card to your tv using comosite (BNC).
The cards do not have an S video option. S video is used in consumer electronics. If you can afford a broadcast monitor connect the card via sdi or component. The signal quality will be much better than composite. Fusion and After Effects are supported atm. For Nuke you have to wait until version 6. They have announced Decklink support some weeks ago.
By the way you can work with Fusion in 32bit float, but the output on a tv in PAL or NTSC will be limited to 8bit per channel.
Hope that helps.
Cheers

thanks. ok heres a cuve ball. since most media seems to be digital now, like movies are mostly seen on dvd now instead of tape, .if i use an hdtv for monitor with the deck link does the hdtv use digital sinal straight from the decklink? would that be closer to final output of digital mediums like dvd movies and digital cable tv etc?

#6 kevin heller

kevin heller

Piglet

• Adv Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 02:52 AM

also do you know if the decklink supports targa files out of after effects? can i see targas on tv out of aftereffects and fusion? the decklink info says it supports targas in premiere but it only says avi and quicktime in aftereffects

#7 neogeo

neogeo

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 03:54 AM

Ok, I will try. If you want to have a perfect signal you would have to buy a hdtv studio monitor and connect it via SDI to the Decklink card. A less expensive setup would be to buy a plasma or lcd screen which supports full HD resolution and connect it to the Decklink hardware via hdmi. If your main output is DVD and you do not need HD then buy a used SD studio monitor which supports at least component input or sdi.

Regarding the tga issue:
You can render out every file format out of After Effects wether you have a Decklink or not. The targa support for Premiere means that you can playback targa / bmp sequences in realtime without rendering. Make sure your hard drives are able to playback at least 30mb per second for PAL / NTSC resolutions.
In After Effects or Fusion you can import every format which is supported by the application and view it on the studio monitor via the decklink. But you still have to cache the composition before you have a realtime playback on the decklink. In Fusion there is an option in the preferences to switch the preview of loaders and savers to the decklink card.
By activating that option you can playback every loader or saver on your external monitor.
To make things more confusing;) You get an application called Media Express with your Decklink card. You can load Avi and Quicktime to playback it on the external monitor and you can print the file to tape or capture new footage from a deck.
Now I need to stop...
Cheers

#8 kevin heller

kevin heller

Piglet

• Adv Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 04:28 AM

Ok, I will try. If you want to have a perfect signal you would have to buy a hdtv studio monitor and connect it via SDI to the Decklink card. A less expensive setup would be to buy a plasma or lcd screen which supports full HD resolution and connect it to the Decklink hardware via hdmi. If your main output is DVD and you do not need HD then buy a used SD studio monitor which supports at least component input or sdi.

Regarding the tga issue:
You can render out every file format out of After Effects wether you have a Decklink or not. The targa support for Premiere means that you can playback targa / bmp sequences in realtime without rendering. Make sure your hard drives are able to playback at least 30mb per second for PAL / NTSC resolutions.
In After Effects or Fusion you can import every format which is supported by the application and view it on the studio monitor via the decklink. But you still have to cache the composition before you have a realtime playback on the decklink. In Fusion there is an option in the preferences to switch the preview of loaders and savers to the decklink card.
By activating that option you can playback every loader or saver on your external monitor.
To make things more confusing;) You get an application called Media Express with your Decklink card. You can load Avi and Quicktime to playback it on the external monitor and you can print the file to tape or capture new footage from a deck.
Now I need to stop...
Cheers

thank you. ok im confused. you said "In After Effects or Fusion you can import every format which is supported by the application and view it on the studio monitor via the decklink. But you still have to cache the composition before you have a realtime playback on the decklink"

does this mean i can view color corrections on one frame in real time (just not a sequence) on my external monitor, or does this mean i have to cache the comp even for one frame if its a targa and i want to make a color change ? if so that sucks. i hope i can at least get realtime color corrections to one frame, if not i dont understand why decklink and aftereffects havent offered a solution for this

#9 neogeo

neogeo

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 03:57 AM

Sure, you will see your still frame as soon as Fusion or After Effects updates it. Depending on how big your comp is you see updates nearly realtime. That is the same speed with or without the Decklink depending on your CPU. If you want color correction with realtime playback an editing app or a dedicated color grading system is the better and more expensive choice. We do color grading in Fusion sometimes, but for short projects with a few shots only.

#10 kevin heller

kevin heller

Piglet

• Adv Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 08:14 PM

ok you said "Depending on how big your comp is you see updates nearly realtime. That is the same speed with or without the Decklink depending on your CPU" are you saying i can see color corrections on one frame on an external monitor without decklink? i have a nvidia gforce 6200, can i do external monitor color corrections on one frame with that in "near real time" would i have to hit the space bar with every color correction i make to see it up date on my external monitor in after effects, or will it automatically up date with every change? thanks for all youre time and help

#11 neogeo

neogeo

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 04:12 AM

You see the color correction as soon as the frame is updated on your desktop. A cheap solution would be to use TVzeka plugin with the tv out of your graphics card, but often the signal quality of the tv out is not professional, it is meant to be used for stuff like gaming. For precise color correction you will need a video card like Decklink, Aja or Bluefish. These cards are able to output the image uncompressed via SDI or component in 4:2:2 or even RGB 4:4:4. These values represent the color sampling of the video signal. As rule of thumb the following formats are ordered to the quality of the signal:

1. Composite / Fbas (in consumer electronics often yellow cinch plugs)
2. Y/C (is what the consumer calls s vhs)
3. Component (the image is splitted into three components for better image quality)
4. SDI (serial digital interface - broadcast standard of tv stations - image quality like it is meant to be)

Cheers

#12 kevin heller

kevin heller

Piglet

• Adv Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 07:04 PM

You see the color correction as soon as the frame is updated on your desktop. A cheap solution would be to use TVzeka plugin with the tv out of your graphics card, but often the signal quality of the tv out is not professional, it is meant to be used for stuff like gaming. For precise color correction you will need a video card like Decklink, Aja or Bluefish. These cards are able to output the image uncompressed via SDI or component in 4:2:2 or even RGB 4:4:4. These values represent the color sampling of the video signal. As rule of thumb the following formats are ordered to the quality of the signal:

1. Composite / Fbas (in consumer electronics often yellow cinch plugs)
2. Y/C (is what the consumer calls s vhs)
3. Component (the image is splitted into three components for better image quality)
4. SDI (serial digital interface - broadcast standard of tv stations - image quality like it is meant to be)

Cheers

thanks for all youre help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users