Photo

Black Point / White Point Macro (The Primary Grade)

Macros Color Gringo

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

Poll: Black Point / White Point Macro (The Primary Grade) (8 member(s) have cast votes)

Which names are better for controls on separate R, G, B channels versus global controls?

1. Gamma Color and Gamma Level (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Gamma RGB and Gamma Combined (1 votes [50.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

3. Include the global control to the same sliders group as fourth C slider after R, G and B (0 votes [0.00%])

4. Other (describe) (0 votes [0.00%])

5. Neither (keep misterious silence) (1 votes [50.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Gringo

Gringo

Associate Administrator

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 10:45 AM

This new macro lets you define black and white point shift by picking colors from a reference picture.

Attached Files

#2 leif3d

leif3d

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 04:44 PM

This new macro lets you define black and white point shift by picking colors from a reference picture.

Neat idea. Thanks Gringo.

#3 Richard Turner

Richard Turner

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 06:29 PM

Nice one Gringo, it's a good feature.

Rich

#4 ChadCapeland

ChadCapeland

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,975 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 08:56 PM

Clever implementation. Very nice. I'll have to benchmark this but I think a straight colormatrix would render faster but offer the same interface.

-Chad

#5 Gringo

Gringo

Associate Administrator

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 02:37 AM

Thank you guys!

The idea itself isn't new, but hopefully, it'll be useful in Fusion for you :)

Clever implementation. Very nice. I'll have to benchmark this but I think a straight colormatrix would render faster but offer the same interface.

Thank you.
It will be interesting to test the alternative.

#6 robocop

robocop

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 05:23 AM

Thanx Gringo! for handy-candy.

#7 SecondMan

SecondMan

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 06:30 AM

Yup, very clever, will test this in the next few days ;)

#8 ChadCapeland

ChadCapeland

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,975 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 04:11 PM

Thank you guys!

The idea itself isn't new, but hopefully, it'll be useful in Fusion for you :)

Thank you.
It will be interesting to test the alternative.

ColorMatrixTransform is 40% faster than ColorCorrector.

I haven't been using a whitepoint/blackpoint setup as you have, but instead hooked them up to a special tool that finds the min and max of each channel over a sequence. You can do the same thing with a Probe and Duplicate tools, though. So it can effectively cancel out any color bias over the whole clip without picking anything. It DOES however require conservatively exposed images. If you have black or white baked into the image already then you have to resort to manual adjustment as you have set up in your macro.

- Chad

EDIT: Of course, this is assuming that the CC is hidden in a macro, so the other things it does (which are slowing it down) are not being used. It might be useful to, instead of making a macro, add the color wheels as user controls to the levels tab and keep all the other CC controls available, so you could use it as a CC and not a WB.

#9 Tilt

Tilt

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 04:18 PM

I just noticed that by holding shift when dragging the color wheel you can restrict the movement to only hue or saturation  :mf_w00t2:

I've never noticed before (or tried, for that matter).

#10 ChadCapeland

ChadCapeland

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,975 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 04:43 PM

I just noticed that by holding shift when dragging the color wheel you can restrict the movement to only hue or saturation  :mf_w00t2:

I've never noticed before (or tried, for that matter).

Neat!

#11 Gringo

Gringo

Associate Administrator

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 03:05 AM

ColorMatrixTransform is 40% faster than ColorCorrector.

I haven't been using a whitepoint/blackpoint setup as you have, but instead hooked them up to a special tool that finds the min and max of each channel over a sequence. You can do the same thing with a Probe and Duplicate tools, though. So it can effectively cancel out any color bias over the whole clip without picking anything. It DOES however require conservatively exposed images. If you have black or white baked into the image already then you have to resort to manual adjustment as you have set up in your macro.

Good to know!
Maybe, once I have some more time, I'll rework the macro.

EDIT: Of course, this is assuming that the CC is hidden in a macro, so the other things it does (which are slowing it down) are not being used. It might be useful to, instead of making a macro, add the color wheels as user controls to the levels tab and keep all the other CC controls available, so you could use it as a CC and not a WB.

I've done something like this before, connecting Gamma Gain and Brightness to color wheels for an experiment. Maybe, if I hide the original G/G/B controls, CC will look more explicit.

#12 Gringo

Gringo

Associate Administrator

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 12:58 PM

I've done something like this before, connecting Gamma Gain and Brightness to color wheels for an experiment. Maybe, if I hide the original G/G/B controls, CC will look more explicit.

I remembered why I didn't finish this CC refinement last time :)
It's impossible to have different user controls (color wheels in this case) exposed for Shadows/Midtones/Highlights and Colors/Levels/Histogram/Suppress.

So, I whether loose Shadows/Midtones/Highlights switch or overload the interface with the color wheels.

It's only in Eyeon's power to reduce the amount of "what-else-this-CC-affects-in-the-numerous-subcategories?" clics.

Maybe, I'll try and make a PrimaryGrade macro which will have only B/WPoint, Gain, Brightness, Gamma, (Contrast?) - all with color wheels and possibility to define Ranges.

#13 Gringo

Gringo

Associate Administrator

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 10:17 AM

So, here it is, a macro which has a full set of controls for primary grading.

• This version works correctly with B/W points exceeding the 0..1 range.
  • Additional "... Level" controls added to adjust all the three channels globally. Please, vote for the naming (press "Delete My Vote" if you've voted in the previous poll).
  • The new Pre-Saturation control adjusts the initial image's saturation before all the other operations (if you set it to 0, but adjust other controls for separate channels, the image will have saturation all the same).
  • Gamma control raises the color to the power of its value, in other words, performs the Gamma operation.
  • Brightness control adds a value to the color, just like one in a CC or BC, raising both black, white points and everything in between.
  • Separate tabs for Master/Shadows/Midtones/Highlights to isolate adjustable ranges based on the luminance.
  • Added a possibility to clip a user-defined range (not only black and white).

Attached Files

• Scarabrae likes this

#14 Tilt

Tilt

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 05:18 PM

I just checked out the primary grade macro. Great job, Gringo!

#15 Gringo

Gringo

Associate Administrator

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 05:52 PM

A version with alternative controls naming.
What do you think?

Attached Files

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Macros, Color, Gringo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users