37 replies to this topic

#16 Kristof

Kristof

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 04:44 AM

This tool has a lot of potential. In my mind especially in a stereo workflow. I don't like the instancing approach that much, and I'd rather try and see if using a switch wouldn't be more elegant. Obvious use for a switch in this type of setup would be for each pair of loaders coming in, but also for each deviation of a node. Only thing needed right now is something like a "renderer" node, that, if previewed or rendered, would flip all the switch fuses to the proper input number for Left and Right viewing/rendering.

Going to talk about it and see if we can come up with something like that at work. This will be a good starting point, so thanks a lot Stefan. Hope to report back with good news and a working set of tools.

Result is a less cluttered flow, fewer nodes and happier compers. :)

Nice one!

#17 Tilt

Tilt

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 11:28 AM

Hi Kristof! Thanks a lot!
You could add an expression to the switch slider and connect it to a checkbox somewhere else that is either 0 or 1. Via the User Controls script you could also create a multi button that is labled "left" and "right".

But if you only need two inputs to switch between, you could also use the Dissolve node and connect its slider to a checkbox. My Fuse, I think, doesn't support DoD yet, so the Dissolve tool will actually be faster in bigger comps.

#18 ChadCapeland

ChadCapeland

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,975 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 01:01 PM

My Fuse, I think, doesn't support DoD yet, so the Dissolve tool will actually be faster in bigger comps.

That would only be true if the Dissolve tool supported DoD. :)

- Chad

#19 Tilt

Tilt

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 04:02 PM

:i

edit: oh my, this is my 1000th post!

#20 ChadCapeland

ChadCapeland

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,975 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 04:33 PM

Switching left/right will pretty much render caching useless. I don't think it's going to be viable.

#21 Tilt

Tilt

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 04:40 PM

Which reminds me... what if Fusion wouldn't clear the cache of downstream tools as soon as a control was changed? So you could at least press ctrl-Z and get the old image back without re-rendering.

#22 Kristof

Kristof

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 06:21 AM

Congrats on your 1000th post, Stefan! :) And thanks guys for joining in and posting your thoughts re this stereo switch. Don't know yet if the pros will outweigh the cons. We'll see and I'll get back to you.

#23 SecondMan

SecondMan

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 11:38 AM

Don't forget Krokodove's Switcher. Can switch between 32 different nodes and the connections are "wireless" so you don't have 32 pipes going to one big node...
  • Filsmith likes this

#24 redoddity

redoddity

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 08:18 AM

This is one of those times i wish we could have different pipe view options (heck even tagging of pipes to be part of a view set or something would be cool), so you can switch between say, all visible, hide by view set or individual.

I find wireless tools making comps quite unreadable (same with the hidden image input of say a probe), then again, some comps turn into cobwebs that would even scare John Goodman

Posted Image

#25 Tilt

Tilt

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 08:42 AM

Tags for pipes would be interesting indeed. But would a node have to tag its upstream or downstream links? Is it like Metadata? So you could highlight upstream connections based on "has timecode metadata"? What would a merge do? Merge these tags as well? Hm.. The merge could already have a "Use Metadata From BG/FG/Both" option... That's gonna become tangled as well.

(insert image with dude and spikey hair) :-)

The hidden inputs wouldn't be so nasty if there was a warning if you are about to delete a node that is secretly needed somewhere else.

#26 redoddity

redoddity

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 09:46 AM

Yeah, it sounds like a cool feature, until you start thinking about the consequences (just wondering, does a wireless node give a warning when it is being deleted, even though it is used?)

As for the tagging, i guess you would tie that the input of the tool (same as inputs are handled i guess, a tool doesn't save if it used or not, only what output from what tool it uses on what input)

Heck, instead of hidden pipes, how about semitransparent (or dark shaded) and dotted/dashed view options? Still visible, but not overly present (for Modifiers as well maybe?)

For example:
Posted Image

#27 ChadCapeland

ChadCapeland

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,975 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 12:02 PM

What I would like to see is a mode, like "Show Tile Picture", but rather "Show Hidden Connections". You could also have a flow option like "Force Active Show Hidden Connections" that would show for the active tool. You probably don't want to see all the connections all the time, just like you don't want to see all the tile pictures all the time.

#28 redoddity

redoddity

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 12:32 PM

That's a pretty cool feature request right there Chad.

#29 Tilt

Tilt

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 03:11 PM

What I would like to see is a mode, like "Show Tile Picture", but rather "Show Hidden Connections". You could also have a flow option like "Force Active Show Hidden Connections" that would show for the active tool. You probably don't want to see all the connections all the time, just like you don't want to see all the tile pictures all the time.

This sounds cool! It reminds me, however, that from the dozens of options in the flow's context menu, I never change anything. It would be a godsend to be able to customize this menu: Attached File  Mockup_contextmenu.png   16.29KB   23 downloads

#30 SecondMan

SecondMan

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 03:15 PM

I change those more than once, I have to say... use that menu all the time. Especially when working with others who configure their comps differently.

Or when downloading stuff from here. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users