Photo

Fusion Not Banned Anymore At Fxguide? (!)

• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#76 ChadCapeland

ChadCapeland

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,975 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 09:26 AM

Of course once you combine sources they need to be in the same colorspace. So you put a colorspace conversion tool after each input footage, assuming it isn't previously converted. For this step, it is very important that you get a good idea of what the input data is, so you can make a proper conversion. The way Fusion does it is to load it natively, then correct it afterward. It's better for performance and troubleshooting this way. When we say "correct" in this context, we're talking about neutralizing the color aspects of the capture device as well as the lighting of the scene. We're going to be converting to linear as well. For input formats that aren't images, like stuff that needs debayering or whatnot, then you have to do this step on load, of course.

Mathematically there's no difference in Over composites in Rec709 or AdobeRGB or scRGB. So long as you have linear gamma, the primaries and white points won't matter. They just need the FG and BG to have the same. So you can't put Rec709 over scRGB, but you can do Rec709 over Rec709 or scRGB over scRGB. Fusion doesn't care.

As for subjective things like color grading, you'll just use a LUT to see a conversion to target space, because the targets are gamut and precision limited and have certain specific characteristics like white point that are fixed and known. As long as you feed clean linear float data in, you'll have plenty of latitude. Errors of course will come up if one department thinks CIE XYZ is the bees knees while another department works in Rec709, but the conversion between them is trivial, it's not a huge deal. I suppose if you don't tag the EXR's you save with any colorspace metadata and ship it off to another company without cluing them in as to what they're getting, then you might have a problem. :)

Fusion will read/write that metadata from it's Gamut tool (which is where these conversions take place). Actually, I think Steve could have just said that and answered your question directly. The issue with the non-standard "secret sauce" colorspaces coming from the proprietary raw camera data stuff is the problem, not how the compositing software handles color.

- Chad

EDIT: Just checked, and the FileLUT tool (where you would load a non-linear LUT from your calibrator or another system) does not write any metadata (like where the LUT file came from). So you'd have to add that metadata yourself.

EDIT: "non-linear" as used above, just means a non-matrix transform.

#77 ChadCapeland

ChadCapeland

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,975 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 09:45 AM

@ Mike

to get back to the question you asked in the beginning (whats a nice story to tell about fusion ?)

I would love to get some insights on Gnomeo and Juliette...
I just heard that the film was mostly "converted" by Zdepth in fusion and that Starz in Toronto made some tools for that... to me it sounded like an interesting workflow and I quite liked the movie.
(I just saw the 2d version though)
Anf they had a tight budget which is interesting too..

Cheers

johannes

I don't know a lot about how this particular movie was made, but I have talked to some of the Fusion developers at Starz, and they are doing some VERY interesting stuff. It's not my place to talk about it, of course, I don't know how much they are allowed to discuss publicly.

#78 ChadCapeland

ChadCapeland

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,975 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 11:07 AM

Scene linear is scene referenced linear not just linear.

Or are there complex color science things in Fusion I am unaware of? (honest question)

Oh, OK. I get what you mean now. Just stumbled over the wordy descriptions John was using. It's sorta so basic I started reading into it too much. So if you mean it the way that OpenColorIO defines "scene linear", then yes, that's how we work. It's the only way you CAN work in Fusion, there's no other option, AFAIK, at least not correctly. I "grew up" with this workflow, not Paintbox, Video Toaster, Cineon, etc. so for me it's not something I have to think about.

#79 jojolimited

jojolimited

Member Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 08:15 PM

Mike did everything he could to give eyeon an opportunity to let people know positive things about Fusion..
The "Grand Fromage" did everything he could to sound like a total clod.Defensive, clueless and snarky.
Pretty sad when the interviewer has to remind the leader
of the company how much influence they've had on the industry.

#80 Pilalitos

Pilalitos

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 12:25 AM

To me, he sounded like he wasn't sure how much he should give away about the new features. Weird!

I wish the interview was longer though. Mike is very precise in the way he makes questions and he is probably one of the few who could extract more information from the Steven.

#81 jojolimited

jojolimited

Member Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 07:08 AM

Maybe it will attract more people to this forum where they hopefully should be able to ask questions.
With a stated Sep release, not sure if I should download the existing one or wait. I'll email eyeon to see if the
price will be the same or if there will be an upgrade charge this late in the game.

#82 Cherea

Cherea

Advanced Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 05:29 PM

Mike Seymour, where are you?
In this thread you have written so many beautiful words, you said that you have no problems with eyeon, which in your opinion Fusion and Nuke to be two excellent tools, and never have had prejudices.
You have said, to be looking for stories to tell, interesting news, events!

Well, perhaps you've forgotten all this?

Or maybe the announcement of the foundry, you take away all the time ...

But I tell you, with all the humility that eyeon has presented many new things these days, because your site does not talk about this?

Home Page of FXguide, I read Storm died, the foundry announces Hiero, and once news of Hiero.

But eyeon have brought some new news ...

Eyeon Fusion 6.3 announced
Eyeon GenerationAM announced
Eyeon Dimension announced

New prices for products and much more news to come.
You have important site and do not talk about this ...
Why?

thanks

#83 pingking

pingking

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 12:51 AM

generationAM article is now on fxguide

and from here:

We’re scheduled for an interview with the folks from Eyeon on Monday, so we’ll have more details in an article or on fxguidetv later this week.

#84 Cherea

Cherea

Advanced Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 09:24 AM

Luck!
At least a little news of eyeon arrives ...
Ok not all, but something is moving.
I'm happy.
I hope that with time the situation will improve.

thanks

#85 blade33ru

blade33ru

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 01:00 PM

i think we need to chill on fxguide.
Mike gave a good interview and generally i take those guys at there word that they try to be independent.
Pretty funny interview. i think gran fromage was taken aback by mikes laser guided knowledgeable questioning..lolol
im sure there just waiting for more info as we all are before they can actually do a story

i find all the nuke talk annoying too, lol, but its not fxguide fault that the foundry provide them with inside info and previews all the time and take advantage of their excellent news service
  • henning likes this

#86 mike seymour

mike seymour

Member Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 10:31 PM

Mike Seymour, where are you?
In this thread you have written so many beautiful words, you said that you have no problems with eyeon, which in your opinion Fusion and Nuke to be two excellent tools, and never have had prejudices.
You have said, to be looking for stories to tell, interesting news, events!
Well, perhaps you've forgotten all this?
Or maybe the announcement of the foundry, you take away all the time ...
But I tell you, with all the humility that eyeon has presented many new things these days, because your site does not talk about this?
Home Page of FXguide, I read Storm died, the foundry announces Hiero, and once news of Hiero.
But eyeon have brought some new news ...
Eyeon Fusion 6.3 announced
Eyeon GenerationAM announced
Eyeon Dimension announced

New prices for products and much more news to come.
You have important site and do not talk about this ...
Why?

thanks

Hi Guys

This is really funny but I posted the Fusion news story earlier in the week, and Yes there is a lot more coming ...
Not to get into a "he said you said", but those following Jeff Heusser on twitter will have seen that he posted that we have recorded an interview Eyeon - on the boat - at IBC.

In fact, I believe the story is the lead piece in the next fxguidetv EP - which comes out soon. I have seen the rushes and John does a great job discussing the products and the new stuff - so I hope you enjoy it ... I say it is funny:- as I popped over to the site here to just have a look and of course you guys were rightly pointing out there is new stuff and we dont we cover it on fxguide... well
- we have
- we have and
- we will... (but to be honest we already were)...

anyway as always we enjoy hearing from this community. Oh and before anyone asks ... yes we already have some stuff booked to do out of LA on a big fusion project you guys are all really into, coming up a few months.

So thanks again for the suggestions and yes we'd love to keep hearing from you - but relax good detailed stuff is coming RSN

Mike

#87 nt65

nt65

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 12:03 AM

Awesome MIKE, just awesome.
I dont know how you do it... when do you get to relax?

Again thanks for the update!
Cant wait to see what you guys have in the EP.
nick

#88 SecondMan

SecondMan

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 11:42 AM

On top of all this, there's a BIG article on Anonymous in the current issue of Cinefex! :)

#89 xmare

xmare

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 08:16 AM

there is an fxguide new episode about Eyeon's announcement, among others,...
waiting for download to finish :)

Thank You Mike / FxGuide !

EDIT: i know - it is silly to be such excited about fxguide coverage, however it's the newest info about eyeon's stuff and perhaps will be the most detailed one, yet. And is before eyeon's official details.. have to see the episode yet - download has finished! :)

#90 Pilalitos

Pilalitos

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 10:57 AM

Just saw the FXguide Ep120 and have to say that this was the best interview I have seen of Steve ever.

All new tools sound amazing! Can't wait to see the demos!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users