Photo

Mockup For Color Corrector

Requests Sketches

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

Poll: Mockup For Color Corrector (17 member(s) have cast votes)

useful?

1. yeah! (12 votes [70.59%])

Percentage of vote: 70.59%

2. no, the CC tool is fine the way it is. (1 votes [5.88%])

Percentage of vote: 5.88%

3. yes, but.... (4 votes [23.53%])

Percentage of vote: 23.53%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Tilt

Tilt

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 03:26 PM

Gringo has made some nice interface mockups in the past, so I've taken a long-standing item from the wishlist and made a mockup myself.

Today's special guest: the color corrector. I've added indicators that tell you which sliders have been modified so you don't have to click on everything to find out what the node does. Also, copying settings from one node to another could easily be implemented as well (right now, pasting settings overwrites all 6 slots)

Attached Files

• Attattaft likes this

#2 RFC3514

RFC3514

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 07:04 PM

It's a good idea, although I'm not sure if I understood what each colour is supposed to mean. Does yellow simply mean that you modified red and green? How would that apply to non-RGB adjustments (ex., the ones in Color Suppression or the Ranges)? In general I think it would be enough to have some sort of indication that a given group has been modified (i.e., a single "LED" or checkmark or spark or whatever), regardless of which sliders have been changed in that group.

But, rather than doing it specifically for the ColorCorrector, it would be nicer if this was implemented at a lower level, and applied automagically to every tool.

Actually, now that I think about it, it would be even more practical if the colour of the indicator showed whether a section has modifications (ex., white dot), animation (blue dot) or keyframes (green dot). This would match the colours already used in the interface (background turns blue when the parameter has animation, and green when it's at a keyframe). Speaking of which, merely selected buttons shouldn't be blue, they should probably be light grey or yellow, to avoid confusion with the blue background on parameters (which means "animated").

Attached File  FusionCCMockup.png   119.27KB   123 downloads ‹ Click to see a mock-up in case my description wasn't very clear.

Going back to the ColorCorrector (and ColorCurves, etc.), it would also be great to be able to open the curve editors and histograms (for levels adjustment) in full screen (and pan them using just the middle mouse button, as in the other windows, instead of having to hold down shift / ctrl).

#3 Gringo

Gringo

Associate Administrator

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 10:06 PM

But rather than doing this specifically for the ColorCorrector, it would be nicer if this was implemented at a lower level, and applied automagically to every tool.

Actually, now that I think about it, it would be even more practical if the colour of the indicator showed whether a section has modifications (ex., white dot), animation (blue dot) or keyframes (green dot). This would match the colours already used in the interface (background turns blue when the parameter has animation, and green when it's at a keyframe). Speaking of which, merely selected buttons shouldn't be blue, they should probably be light grey or yellow, to avoid confusion with the blue background on parameters (which means "animated").

Attached File  FusionCCMockup.png   119.27KB   123 downloads ‹ Click to see a mock-up in case my description wasn't very clear.

Excellent! That's exactly what I'd like to get for all the tools and even more, with the animation indication!
See also a request here: http://vfxpedia.com/...s#Tool_Controls

#4 Tilt

Tilt

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 03:48 AM

It's a good idea, although I'm not sure if I understood what each colour is supposed to mean. Does yellow simply mean that you modified red and green? How would that apply to non-RGB adjustments (ex., the ones in Color Suppression or the Ranges)?

yeah, it would simply mean "red and green" have been modified. Everything else would be white. But you're right, even a simple, single LED would be a godsend.

Your point about selected buttons is a good one. Since checkboxes and buttons don't change when they are animated, some kind of tint or highlight would be needed to fix this. But blue is already taken for the active button. The selected button could be rendered as inset which I think is well-known from any other GUI and would allow blue to be used for keyframes.

Here's the mockup I made, but it's not well thought out yet. I'm not a big fan of the green color but I've used it to stay faithful to the current interface. I think a bright blue for keyframes and a toned-down blue for animated-but-no-keyframe would be easier on the eyes...

Attached Files

#5 RFC3514

RFC3514

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 12:56 PM

I'm not a big fan of the green color but I've used it to stay faithful to the current interface.

Yes, me neither. And the fact that blue is used for two things ("selected button" and "parameter with animation but no keyframe") is also bad design (as is the confusion between "buttons" and "tabs" in some tools - some buttons behave like tabs, or maybe they're tabs that look like buttons).

I'd much rather see a more "universal" colour scheme:

Red (or green): This thing is keyframed at this frame.
Green (or blue): This thing is animated.
Yellow (or blue, or light grey): This thing has been changed from its default value, but is not animated.
Blue (or yellow, or light grey) with inset effect: This thing is currently selected / active. If the thing in question also has animation or has been changed from its default value, then it stays with the "changed", "animated" or "keyframed" colour, and only gets the inset effect to indicate it's selected

I don't think it's a very good idea to use different shades of the same colour, because it might not be obvious which shade you're looking at when you only have one of them on the screen (bright blue is easy to distinguish from medium blue if you're seeing both, but if you see one of them alone you might be unsure). Keyframes should definitely jump out (bright red or bright green).

For the buttons and checkboxes, I'd at least give them a 1-2 pixel border of the relevant colour (when they are changed from default, animated or keyframed), the same way 3DS Max gives controls a red border (see this image). But changing the whole button is fine, too, as long as the colours are easy to see.

The same colours should apply to everything (buttons, tabs, sliders, nodes, etc.) whenever relevant, and they would also apply to the little "LEDs" as shown in the previous example (but there they would refer to "child" controls, not to that control itself).

#6 ChadCapeland

ChadCapeland

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,975 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 01:35 PM

I'm not a big fan of the green color but I've used it to stay faithful to the current interface.

Yes, me neither. And the fact that blue is used for two things ("selected button" and "parameter with animation but no keyframe") is also bad design (as is the confusion between "buttons" and "tabs" in some tools - some buttons behave like tabs, or maybe they're tabs that look like buttons).

Some of us haven't gotten on the bandwagon for the F6 color scheme. I think it's a huge step backwards. So we still use a modified F5 color scheme. It's not that hard to modify the skinning in Fusion to suit your needs. Obviously adding color coding is not possible, but changing what the color coding color are is easy.

- Chad

#7 RFC3514

RFC3514

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 02:46 PM

I really like the overall look of F6; they've managed to make a semi-"shiny" dark UI work, which isn't easy (the dark UI scheme for 3DS Max, for example, which is now the default, was clearly designed by a sadist, and I've seen new users squint at it for hours until someone told them how to change it). But I do find the F6 colours a bit inconsistent (especially the blue being used to mean two different things).

#8 Tilt

Tilt

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 03:13 PM

Attached File  Mockup_animation2.png   4.53KB   66 downloads <-- Here's a mockup of a bright blue color for keyframes (greatly improved contrast between white text and background) and a toned down blue for no keyframe.

Also, a quick hack of an inset button without blue cast. I'll try hacking a skin as Chad suggested to test if I can stand it during regular usage :-)

I'm a bit afraid of too many colors in the interface. Values that have been changed from their defaults are already marked by the small dot that allows resetting them. But I like your color corrector mockup very much, RFC :-)

#9 RFC3514

RFC3514

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 08:39 PM

Only sliders have the dot. Using the ColorCorrector as an example, the Tint and Strength don't have any associated sliders (no idea why, though; it would make it much easier to control the strength without affecting the tint and vice-versa, without the need to hold down shift while dragging the little circle thingy). Anyway, I think that giving non-default values a slightly lighter background would make them easier to spot at a glance.

Regardless of that, I think it's a bit tricky to fix the colour inconsistencies without fixing the actual widget inconsistency. Again, using the ColorCorrector as an example, you have buttons that look the same but behave differently.

The two rows at the top (Colors / Levels / Histogram / Suppress and Master / Shadows / Midtones / Highlights) are effectively "tabs", since they change the contents of everything below them.

The next row (Fast / Full / Better) looks the same but behaves like radio buttons (and the choice can be animated).

The buttons on the next row (RGB / Red / Green / Blue) look the same but (like the top ones) behave as tabs (showing different sets of sliders).

Finally, the one at the bottom (Reset all color changes) looks the same and behaves like a "pure" button (i.e., "doing" something, rather than replacing the contents of the panel or selecting an option out of a set of alternatives.

Pretty messy. :blink:

#10 Tilt

Tilt

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 12:08 AM

Yeah, you're right.
There are more inconsistencies if you write Fuses/plugins. You can deactivate every widget, but then they are not just grayed out as expected. For sliders, the whole slider disappears, leaving only the number box. For range controls only the handles disappear. For buttons, you don't really see that they are disabled at all until you want to click them :-(

Maybe sliders on the strength and tint boxes would have made the interface even more cluttered with widgets. In a way, Nuke has found a much better solution with its popup color corrector while the actual color values are a single line with 4 numbers for R, G, B and A that can be dragged like they were sliders. This way the interface is very condensed while the color corrector has sliders not only for hue and luminance but also for different color spaces like green-magenta or orange-blue tint and optional swatches.

nukepicker.jpg

#11 RFC3514

RFC3514

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 03:25 AM

Yes, I completely agree for the RGB sliders; they should only pop up when you actually need them (which is not very often, unless you're specifically using a "color balance" tool). But I was talking about the "strength" slider of the ColorCorrector, which is a pretty essential one.

Fusion is a bit half-assed when it comes to colour pickers; tools like Text+ give you the RGB sliders straight away, then you can click the little arrow to open the colour wheel and the HSV boxes (generally far more useful than RGB). And choosing "pick" opens the Windows colour picker, which is just ridiculous for a professional application.

Nuke's colour picker is pretty good. I'd just change the saturation slider to be centred at 0, rather than start at 0 (that way you could just drag it to -1 to get the negative of your current colour) and add an option to display 3 channels based on your currently selected colour and its two complementary colours (i.e., the ones 120º off it on the colour wheel), and maybe display those as a triangle over the colour disc. And I'd replace the "gradient square" colour picker with a triangle like the one in Fractal Painter. So, three changes. By my usual pickiness standards, that's almost perfect. :P

I'm not crazy about Nuke's "click the 4 to get RGBA" concept, from an interface point of view (maybe I want to see other channels), but it does save space and I guess people tend to use RGB when typing in values copied from somewhere else (since HLS varies a bit from program to program). And being able to use the mouse wheel to control different orders of magnitude (in numeric fields in general) is quite nice.

I'm also not crazy about the way Nuke's ColorCorrect puts master, shadows, midtones and highlights all on the screen at once. Makes it harder to compare the same channels in each range. In Fusion you can simply alternate between two (tab-like) buttons (ex., between "Shadows" and "Midtones"), and the display alternates between the two. Makes it very easy to compare the values, just flipping back and forth. I also like the way Fusion shows the four cursors on the colour disc at the same time (although they're all so similar that sometimes it's hard to tell which is which, and although it won't let you drag them unless you're in the right "tab").

#12 Tilt

Tilt

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 04:43 AM

yeah, the stock color picker of Windows must be the worst one in the world. Even Linux now has better ones. I like your idea about the triangle. Fusion's foldable color wheel isn't that bad. However, I miss a way to control magenta-green and orange-blue. In Shake you could hold down M over a color square and drag the mouse to adjust this axis. It could be added to Fusion without adding more stuff to the interface and I don't really need to see a green-magenta gradient to know what I'm doing.

The 4 RGBA squares in Nuke have some disatvantages (If you merge them back into 1 value it just copies red to the other values). But at least they (in conjunction with the color picker) provide a condensed interface that allows you to gang those values if you need and adjust them individually as well.

I made the eLinBC fuse a while ago which allows you to fold the rgb sliders back into one but it then acts as a luminance slider. If you switch to rgb mode again, it'll restore hue and saturation since colors are internally stored as HSV. The interface is what I was able to do with Fusion's widgets. It could be made much better with a customized color widget by eyeon.

Also, Gringo has improved on all of Fusion's color grading tools with his macro :-)

Edited by Tilt, 07 September 2011 - 10:45 AM.

#13 ChadCapeland

ChadCapeland

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,975 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 09:08 AM

For sliders, the whole slider disappears, leaving only the number box.

Eh? How do you do that?

#14 Tilt

Tilt

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 10:44 AM

Eh? How do you do that?

INP_Disabled = true
I can't remember if it was sliders or screw controls.

#15 ChadCapeland

ChadCapeland

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,975 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 12:43 PM

Eh? How do you do that?

INP_Disabled = true
I can't remember if it was sliders or screw controls.

Ah, but that prevents you from inputting data at all. I wanted to be able to still add modifiers or expressions, but just lose the slider.

EDIT: Oh, nevermind. That still works. You just can't type the number in. I was rightclicking on the number, which does nothing, but rightclicking just above the number lets you add modifiers. Awesome tip.

So... What're the chances we could get something like this for Custom Filter or Color Matrix? Ah, wait... I smell a Color Matrix Fuse coming...

EDIT2: Tilt, any guess as to how you add the "Pick" button to the pseudo Point3 that we have in the transform tab?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Requests, Sketches

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users