11 replies to this topic

#1 Tilt

Tilt

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 05:50 PM

I understand that the editor has a heritage, probably from a time where double-buffering wasn't feasible. But come on. It's 2011. Even Blender has a spline editor that has anti-aliased curves, doesn't flicker and has smoother zooming.

It has so many additional problems even when it doesn't exhibit these random bugs like in the video, for example scale-to-fit and update speed when there are modifiers instead of keyframes.

:mf_jumpon:
  • henning likes this

#2 RFC3514

RFC3514

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 06:49 PM

WTB 3DS Max's track view editor for Fusion. ;)

#3 leif3d

leif3d

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 11:14 AM

I've been complaining about the refresh issues for the timeline and spline editors for years, but everyone just deals with it. This is something that should have been fixed since v5.

#4 theo

theo

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 04:42 PM

I've been complaining about the refresh issues for the timeline and spline editors for years, but everyone just deals with it. This is something that should have been fixed since v5.

this should have been fixed in v3 !

#5 zrilic

zrilic

Piglet

• Adv Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 01:09 AM

I am sorry that takes so long to take those issues into consideration.
But better ever then never.

For now, at least the refreshing issues (disappearing splines after some actions, zooming with shortcuts, e.g.) have been fixed for next release hopefully.

Thanks

#6 redoddity

redoddity

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 09:30 AM

Pfff...you want a bad curve editor? Try using that piece of crap curve editor from Realflow, good f-ing luck with that.

#7 rubberduck

rubberduck

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 09:51 AM

hehe, that's right. The spline editor from realflow is close to unusable!

#8 leif3d

leif3d

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 11:23 AM

-I've also been asking for a way to change the damn background color of the spline and timeline editor forever. I know this can't be THAT difficult...
-Please no more dark shades for splines, only light tints of colors. Who thought a dark gray background would work with dark shades of purple splines?! cmon' guys ...
-Also, why do the same animated attributes on different nodes have different spline colors?! Do you have any idea how confusing this is? I animate a tint on a cc and I get a pink spline, I animate a tint on another cc I get a blue spline... Not awesome!
-Please, can we stick to X is red, y is green and z is blue? please?
-Can we have a standard value for blend? White?

Overall, things need to make sense, they can't be random. We need ways to look at a graph and immediately be able to isolate spline colors based on memory.

#9 th0mas

th0mas

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:47 AM

If I may update this thread:

But come on. It's 2012. almost 2013. Seriously.

#10 Tilt

Tilt

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:22 PM

Thought I'd chime in since I had started that thread back then...
I've gotta say that the issue that drove me mad initially (and made me start this thread) has been resolved and "zrilic" - who commented earlier and is the programmer at eyeon responsible for the spline editor - has added a huge amount of fixes and features to the spline editor. I think a hearty thank you is appropriate :-)

The only annoying bits on my list are zooming behavior (why not smoothly zoom in X and Y independently depending on mouse movement as in Nuke? why won't ctrl-F fit to the currently selected key frames?), speed issues (modifiers or splines created by expressions don't updated in real-time) and the flickery aliased rendering (but rewriting such a core piece of Fusion probably doesn't come for free especially if there's Dimension, Generation and whatever else eyeon might be working on...).

#11 th0mas

th0mas

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:55 AM

I am all excited by the whole Dimension approach - not just 3d-wise but also the possible enhancement of the whole toolset which could follow - but in the end a usable interface might seem less exciting but is nonetheless essential for a software. And erratically disappearing splines are kind of an obstacle. Meanwhile it seems to me a bit like a car which just has gotten the best navigation computer and an impressively enhanced engine while running on bald tyres. Independent of the quality of one's output - everybody looks like a beginner in front of his client when switching the splines off and on again in order to compare two curves which just disappear when shown at the same time unless some third curve is switched on or switched to grey.

Edit: But - yes - at least when they are visible they now stay visible even when zooming....

#12 leif3d

leif3d

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:40 AM

Colors are still arbitrary and not indicative of anything, so you always have to compare them to each value. Sometimes there are two values animated and one spline color is pink and the other pinkish-purple. This makes it extremely hard to follow a pattern for animations.

When this spline editor is somewhere near the maya one then I'll be happy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users