10 replies to this topic

#1 vivi

vivi

Piglet

• Adv Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 11:45 AM

Hello guys,

I consider myself a beginner, and recently I started using camera projection onto geometry exported from 3dsMax.

Here is the situation :

- I have an animation range from 0- 100 frames in 3dsMAX.
- Now I render the first and the last frame..
- I export the geometry (.fbx) and the cameras (.ase) ,
- 1 main camera animated, 2 projection cameras for the first and the last frame.
- in fusion, I want to project the first image ( frame 0 ) from camera A and the last image ( frame 100 ) from camera B onto my geometry.

you can think of it as a projection from the left side and one from the right side.
I got one camera projection working... but I don't know how to use two cameras and mask out where one camera should not project at.
I would appreciate every help...

Vito

#2 Tilt

Tilt

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 12:19 PM

Hi Vito! Welcome to the forums ;)

I have literally just begun working on a video tutorial about how to do this. Unfortunately the voiceover's not done yet, but here's a zip file with two images and a comp that might get you started.

What you need to take care of:
- In the projection tab of both cameras, set the mode to "Texture". Only this mode allows layering of multiple projections.
- Attach a Catcher tool to the fbx model's material input to catch the texture projections.
- Set color accumulation mode to "Blend".
- In one of the cameras, you need to increase the projection priority. This will be the foreground projection that will cover the other one.
- The Renderer3D needs to be set to Software Renderer. Unfortunately, the OpenGL one can't handle projections.
- Now you just need to mask the foreground projection before it's going into the camera. You can use a channel boolean or a matte control for example.

Attached Files

• vivi likes this

#3 RockKenny

RockKenny

Power Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 07:42 PM

Tilt, hi!

what to do in this situation?
if an alpha channel, there can be, and the cameras interfere with each other?

http://www.box.net/shared/pvvhpa8ozvj44z0cgf4o

#4 Tilt

Tilt

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 04:53 AM

ah, that's a bit tricky :-)

You should probably project one image onto the foreground objects only, and another one - that doesn't have the pillar in it - on the background geometry. You can either remove the pillar on that other image using the paint tool, or photoshop, or you can also use one of the pixel filling macros that can be found somewhere on this forum. I once started to make a Fuse but it's not completely finished: Attached File  EdgeRepair.Fuse.zip   2.84KB   15 downloads

Or you could set the catcher's mode to median and use a third projection. That should remove the stretched pixels almost completely.

#5 RockKenny

RockKenny

Power Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 05:42 AM

that should be in a third projection?

#6 Tilt

Tilt

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 07:28 AM

the 3rd projection would have to be from a different position by a larger margin. The idea (if it works) is that median mode picks the most common pixel from all 3 projections, so if a spot on the wall is only occluded by the pillar in one image, it will be clean.

#7 vivi

vivi

Piglet

• Adv Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 07:05 AM

I have literally just begun working on a video tutorial about how to do this. Unfortunately the voiceover's not done yet, but here's a zip file with two images and a comp that might get you started.

- In the projection tab of both cameras, set the mode to "Texture". Only this mode allows layering of multiple projections.
- Attach a Catcher tool to the fbx model's material input to catch the texture projections.
- In one of the cameras, you need to increase the projection priority. This will be the foreground projection that will cover the other one.
- The Renderer3D needs to be set to Software Renderer. Unfortunately, the OpenGL one can't handle projections.
- Now you just need to mask the foreground projection before it's going into the camera. You can use a channel boolean or a matte control for example.

Thank you so much!! Could you let me know when you are done?? can't wait for it!! Thanks!!
cheers, Vito

#8 Tilt

Tilt

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 09:50 AM

It's finished, you can watch it on eyeon's Youtube channel:

#9 Cherea

Cherea

Advanced Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 12:40 PM

Thank you!!!!

#10 vivi

vivi

Piglet

• Adv Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 04:54 PM

no OpenGl mode??? but this would mean no depth of field through accumulation??

#11 Tilt

Tilt

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 07:18 AM

no. I've added it to the wishlist on vfxpedia.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users