#1 823hal

823hal

Member Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 06:42 PM

Hi,

I'm wondering if there is a plugin/script for 3ds max to export imagesplanes/geometry to Fusion?
Just like C4D has to AE.

I'm trying to achieve something just like that. Just a laptop opening up.
I want to be able to change the content on the screen in Fusion.

So what is the best way to go?

I've tried to export the plane (screen) as an FBX, but the animation doesn't work in Fusion.
I've tried to bake the animation as well (one key per frame). But nothing works.

The camera works great if a export it as an DEA-file. But no geometry.

I'm kind of new to Fusion, so I'm kinda lost here.

(Sorry for my bad english. I hope you understand what I mean.)

Best regards
823hal

#2 fusionWannabe

fusionWannabe

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 08:23 PM

There's a thread on this tool somewhere. Please post your results of success/failure.

http://www.rpmanager...oader#lightwave

#3 Tilt

Tilt

Flying Pig

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 01:39 AM

you can export 4 nulls (baked animation, no parenting to any group or object) of the screen corners. in fusion, create 4 Locator3Ds and import the animation curves and camera. now you can use them to drive a cornerpin (in 2D).

better solution: render a UV ramp where your screen is and use Fusion's Texture tool to distort your replacement screen.

#4 823hal

823hal

Member Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 05:10 PM

There's a thread on this tool somewhere. Please post your results of success/failure.

http://www.rpmanager...oader#lightwave

you can export 4 nulls (baked animation, no parenting to any group or object) of the screen corners. in fusion, create 4 Locator3Ds and import the animation curves and camera. now you can use them to drive a cornerpin (in 2D).

better solution: render a UV ramp where your screen is and use Fusion's Texture tool to distort your replacement screen.

Thanks for you quick answer. Isn't there an easier way?

What Im looking for is if there a way to export a fusioncomp directly from max.

Say you have 2 planes and 1 camera in 3ds max. You select the planes and the cam, and then export them directly to Fusion.
When you open Fusion you have 2 imagesplanes and 1 camera in you flow. Wouldn't that be great?

So, is it even possible to make a script/plugin like that to 3ds max?

btw, Im kind of new to Fusion and scripting. So Im not sure whats possible or not.

Many thaks
/823hal

#5 xmare

xmare

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 06:30 PM

UV maps are probably the safest bet right now, and perhaps the quickest. also the technique of UV maps will probably be very very useful in Your other works, so do invest some time to know it :)

You could also try with the fbx - normally it works fine. however there are some issues i.e. i just tried Your Laptop Setup in maya - it appears that if geometry's pivot point has been moved from default position, the scene in fusion is no longer correct - the geometry animation values are correct, but the pivot point is in wrong position so the actual placement and rotation of geo is wrong!...
Probably could get this to work by reseting transforms in maya, before animation baking, but as You can see - there are some problems with kind-of simple setup...

soooo use UV maps :)

cheers

#6 Tilt

Tilt

Flying Pig

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 06:45 PM

This would certainly be possible, but it would have to be something that's written in maxscript.

The locator solution is a bit complicated. But the UV solution works perfectly and only has to be set up once. Then it has to be rendered as a pass whenever you change the camera or geometry. It's independent of the beauty shading.

Here's an example comp that demonstrates the idea.

Attached Files

#7 823hal

823hal

Member Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 07:39 PM

Xmare;
Yeah, thats the problem I have with the FBX import. Everything is miss-placed.

I will try the UV technique :)

Thanks Tils for the comp. I think I understand the hole process a little better now. :)

Again, many thanks.
/823hal

#8 Sebastian Witkin

Sebastian Witkin

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 03:57 AM

It would be really nice to get some in depth tutorials regarding 3ds Max to Fusion. I have been playing with this option for quite a while and quite frankly haven't had too much success in using Fusions 3D options with our 3D scenes. There always seem to be complications with the scene offsets, models being blown up etc.

#9 Tilt

Tilt

Flying Pig

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 04:23 AM

I will try the UV technique :)

You're welcome. It has some more advantages, for example it works on curved surfaces and if you have a matte object travelling in front of it, you will also have a pixel perfect holdout. The only thing you need in addition to the UV map is a matte of the area that is covered by the UV map so you can unpremultiply the edges.

cheers
Stefan

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 3ds max, imageplane, fusion, export, fbx.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users