6 replies to this topic

#1 Tilt

Tilt

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:27 PM

The recent thread about Alexa logC conversion sparked my interest in Fusion's viewshader fuses. Turns out, it's not that hard to write basic CG shaders that way although managing multiple chained viewshaders isn't that comfortable in my opinion.

But anyways, here's a Fuse that draws a letterbox overlay as a viewshader, which means there's no longer any need to drag around a resize or letterbox node in your flow to check how the final result will be framed. The difference to Fusion's guides overlay is the fact that this fuse works with any image size. You can define any custom aspect or even the width of the top and bottom bar independently in pixels. I once had a project with a 1.85 frame format that was off-center inside a 3K film scan.

you can find it on vfxpedia. Enjoy :-)

Attached Files

#2 Kristof

Kristof

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 02:00 AM

Cool, thanks! :)

#3 ChadCapeland

ChadCapeland

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,975 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:44 PM

...although managing multiple chained viewshaders isn't that comfortable in my opinion.

Ugg yes. I find myself "managing" the viewshaders by "chaining" them in one Cg shader. It's that or editing the .comp itself. Not fun.

Maybe use the flow view to handle this? The tools would only represent the inputs/outputs and things like passthrough, but I'd still find that to be superior to what we have now.

- Chad

#4 xmare

xmare

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:58 PM

Thanks! i'd love to get my hands on exposure/gamma VS or OnScreen controls, similar to Nuke / AE stuff.
I find it very usefull; draging a macro around the flow is not handy...
Pretty please ? :)

cheers

#5 Tilt

Tilt

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:01 PM

Yeah, once you've used the gain/gamma sliders in Nuke you can't live without them. On the other hand, when using two viewers next to each other in Nuke, these sliders become harder to use.

I made this mockup in Photoshop. I'd donate a considerable amount of beer for this :-)

Posted Image

#6 kjk0

kjk0

Piglet

• Adv Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:17 PM

nice mockup~ we need it!

#7 Tilt

Tilt

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:22 AM

...although managing multiple chained viewshaders isn't that comfortable in my opinion.

Ugg yes. I find myself "managing" the viewshaders by "chaining" them in one Cg shader. It's that or editing the .comp itself. Not fun.

inspired by Chad, I've modified the gain-gamma viewshader to do the conversion to sRGB as well. And one for rec709. The gain/gamma sliders still aren't visible of course, you have to choose LUT->Edit..., but it's an improvement over chaining shaders. Fusion will forget your gain/gamma settings if you switch LUTs but at least you no longer have to setup your gamut over and over.

http://www.vfxpedia....viewshaders.zip

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fuse, viewshader

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users