#1 mixepix

mixepix

Member Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:32 AM

Hi,

Is it possible to use the nice Defocus-lens blur instead of the ugly depthBlur for depth maps or is Lenscare my only option?

Cheers
Mikael
  • soodaCabton likes this

#2 French_Fry

French_Fry

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:32 AM

I've been wondering the same thing. Gringo has a macro that works with depth maps, but the result doesn't seem as nice as Frishcluft ( in my opinion). It uses the vari blur tool from what I could see. If there were a way to use the defocus lens tool, it would be awesome.

On the other hand, we just picked up a copy of Lenscare 2 days ago, and I have mixed feelings. The result is great and the calculations are quite fast, but for some reason, the node hangs for a few seconds every couple of minutes. Almost as if it's checking for the license again and again. That's a pain. It's also the only node that seems to take 2-3 seconds to appear in the flow once it's been called. ANyone else having those problems?

#3 Kristof

Kristof

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 01:56 PM

That doesn't sound normal. I use Frischluft quite a lot actually, but never had any problems like the one you describe.

#4 Pilalitos

Pilalitos

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:21 PM

Never had behaviour like that with Lenscare in Fusion either.

#5 French_Fry

French_Fry

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:26 PM

well..that's somewhat reassuring. I guess now I need to figure out what went wrong in my install.
Thanks for the feedback. Didn't mean to hijack to thread mixepix. :)

BTW: I'm on Fusion 6.4 ,and Lenscare OFX 1.44.

#6 Tilt

Tilt

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:41 PM

yeah, Lenscare is still the best solution for Fusion. Variblur can't look like a defocus because it works differently than a defocus or depth blur.

I wonder if there's some readily available zBlur algorithm / paper... at least with openCL it could be really fast as a Fuse.

The best defocus plugin is probably Boqeh, but it's not OFX :-(
http://peregrinelabs.com/bokeh/

#7 mixepix

mixepix

Member Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 04:40 PM

Too bad.:(

#8 pingking

pingking

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:44 AM

I wonder if there's some readily available zBlur algorithm / paper... at least with openCL it could be really fast as a Fuse.

something like that?

http://cudaopencl.bl...eld-effect.html

#9 Kristof

Kristof

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:51 AM

The best defocus plugin is probably Boqeh, but it's not OFX :-(
http://peregrinelabs.com/bokeh/

Deep image support is a major part of the Bokeh toolkit, and ofx nor Fusion supports this. That is the main reason why Bokeh is Nuke only. I contacted support and they swiftly responded by saying that if the demand is big enough, they might port over the non deep image aspects.

#10 Kristof

Kristof

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:53 AM

And I use a macro / fuse / plugin (yup, several incarnations of the same tool) to calculate the size of the bokeh and I use that as a reference while setting up Frisch'.

All the formulas can be found here:

http://toothwalker.o...tics/vwdof.html

#11 French_Fry

French_Fry

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:27 AM

I've been wondering the same thing. Gringo has a macro that works with depth maps, but the result doesn't seem as nice as Frishcluft ( in my opinion). It uses the vari blur tool from what I could see. If there were a way to use the defocus lens tool, it would be awesome.

On the other hand, we just picked up a copy of Lenscare 2 days ago, and I have mixed feelings. The result is great and the calculations are quite fast, but for some reason, the node hangs for a few seconds every couple of minutes. Almost as if it's checking for the license again and again. That's a pain. It's also the only node that seems to take 2-3 seconds to appear in the flow once it's been called. ANyone else having those problems?

So, I finally have a solution to our hanging Frischluft plugin. One of our IT guys investigated it for a couple weeks and it turns out there is a bug (kind of) in the plugin. Apparently, when the host PC is on a domain, the plug in searches for the following network location:
\\frischluft\depth_of_field_ofx.log
Since it can't find it, it hangs until it times out. If we disjoin the domain and connect to a workgroup, the the splash screen loads normally and the plugin works normally. We have found that by creating a network alias call "Frischluft", the problem goes away because it's not suffering from network timeouts.
We've contacted Philipp, at Frischluft, and have made him aware of the issue. The log file is for debugging purposes mostly. It should be fixed in the next update. Now, what I find incredible is that no one has ever encountered this problem...or at least reported it.

I guess since no one has this problem, no one would really care about this solution. But I thought I would share anyways. :)

#12 redoddity

redoddity

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 04:00 AM

I have written a depth blur in OpenCL like the above example while waiting for a comp to render, it works, but a depth blur needs a lot of work when you want to prevent the famous edge leaking.
Also, i create a simple math.random LUT for sampling noise offsets, but the poisson/stochastic disc LUT and rotation trick might seem a better way to go instead (modern realtime SSAO use this trick as well)

I've been thinking about doing a version using OpenGL and go the game engine way, like Unreal does (downsize the image for dof sampling, place bokeh sprites sized by the depth in the normal sized color buffer), haven't been successful yet though.

#13 redoddity

redoddity

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 04:08 AM

For those interested :
http://www.unrealeng...mo_16x9_(2).pdf
http://udn.epicgames...resentation.pdf

#14 Tilt

Tilt

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 07:44 AM

Wow that sounds cool! (pics or it didn't happen? ;-))

Most algorithms out there seem to aim for real-time engines and they try to fake a lot. I wish there was a solution that looks fine even if it took a second per frame.

#15 redoddity

redoddity

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:00 AM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users