Photo

Is Eyeon Still Alive, Or Should I Sent Flowers?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Eagle1

Eagle1

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 03:34 PM

At the moment I'am very disappointed about the quiet information policy from eyeon and Fusion. Thats not the way I'm used to from other software manufacturers.

- On the website is the last relevant news is from IBC 2012, September.
- Facebook posted Links from this forum
- 31 Seconds Video about Replicate 3D, wow!
- The last YT Video is one month ago
- Relevant Press Releases ends July 2012
- The last Twitter post are mostly about Connection and AVID
- Newsletter ends in March 2012

Not even a detailed Feature video about Fusion 6.4 and the last Tutorials Videos are six moth ago.

Also there not any in the depth Features or behind the scenes about Fusion in production, related Shots, Stories, Videos, etc. The Productions Archive has only trailers and generic news.

The collaboration with Uncharted Territory you found accidentally on other News Pages
http://www.cgw.com/P...CG-effects.aspx

The "London Company" is considerably larger, but the nuclear Software is everywhere much more present: in Videos, Information, Features, News and Tutorials.

I find it difficult at the time to stay with Fusion or Update the subscription - 10 Reasons why?
  • LofGoaferogue likes this

#2 SecondMan

SecondMan

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 04:17 PM

You don't send flowers to Eyeon, you send beer.

#3 pingking

pingking

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 04:49 PM

this seems very normal for eyeon, sad but true. if you search this forum you will find such thread every now and then. each time we are complaining about the really bad PR work eyeon is doing. and we're still happy with the products

#4 bfloch

bfloch

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:51 PM

Currently you'll find updates on the website - like an exclusive interview with the man who proposed to send us beer (which I second btw.). Also you might have missed the connection webinar and offers that were announced in the newsletter. You might have also missed this:
http://www.eyeonline.../Anonymous.html
http://www.fxguide.c...-125-anonymous/

As to marketing in general - we appreciate your feedback and concerns although I can assure you that eyeon rocks more then ever and we have happy customers and still keep growing daily. We are currently switching some gears that's while things might seem to be moving slowly. But last time I checked we had releases and bugfixes every few months so I'm not particularly sure what your concern with updates are. If you have any problems or question free to contact us.

We are more than happy to help you.

#5 fusionWannabe

fusionWannabe

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:24 PM

what address are your newsletters sent from?

Possibly you are using the same software to send the emails as is used to send subscription notices from PigsFly, as I'm not getting any.

I use Microsoft Exchange Server - and have a 3rd party greylisting tool installed that basically says to a new email, try again in 5 minutes (perfectly legal under the SMTP RFC specification which all email senders must adhere to), and then allows the email on the 2nd attempt. Takes out 95% of my SPAM - with no lost emails from actual email servers.

When Newtek changed their forum, I had this problem, and asks the admins to fix it and it was fixed the same day - a setting somewhere.

My guess is that you're not using a real email server to send, and that's why they get lost. A client that sends on it's own, without using an email server, will not try again.

#6 bfloch

bfloch

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:55 PM

Set your filters to whitelist @eyeonline.com mails and you should be able to receive all our correspondence.

#7 fusionWannabe

fusionWannabe

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:25 AM

Set your filters to whitelist @eyeonline.com mails and you should be able to receive all our correspondence.

Which emails are used for the subscription emails from this forum?

BTW - a white list should not be necessary if they are sent from a valid email server.

In fact, greylisting relies on the RFC specified ability for the server to say "I'm busy", as that can happen with a large server.

So, not being able to deal with that and retry, as a real server would do, will cost Eyeon some visibility as some emails won't get to their intended destination.

Whitelisting also opens up the server to spoofed spam emails.

Any client that sends emails can be directed to send them using a real email server (one of the things I do in life is write code to send emails, a LOT of emails). The only reason NOT to use a real email server is if you are a spammer.

#8 bfloch

bfloch

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 05:11 PM

This is a bit off topic so I will take the newsletter problem in private. If other users have problem with not receiving the newsletter please contact me directly.

EDIT: Most of our messages are also mirrored in the linkedin group. So this way you can stay informed as well.

#9 Eagle1

Eagle1

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:14 AM

Okay, thanks for the feedback.

When you look at my startpost: i'am NOT unhappy with the updates or product itself, but rather with the public support in general, for example a detailed Feature video about Fusion 6.4 was published. It took 30-60 Minutes to record this overview and explain how this can used. Tutorials and Feature videos are just a time saving way to publish this to customers, and yes other compositing manufacturers do this in the 21st century very intense....

You might have also missed this:
http://www.eyeonline.../Anonymous.html
http://www.fxguide.c...-125-anonymous/

I haven't missed this - i missed Fusion in this: what was done, how was it done, etc. (I save to show embarrassing examples, what i mean)!

Fusion hasn't this overall present, Online-Classes has stop Fusion Lesson and Sphere VFX stop Lessons and DVDs since some Years. FXPHD has a near two year old Fusion 5.x, 6.0 Beta Course - that's it, Fusion postings in other Forums are month and years old, etc.

This is IMHO not the best way to get more friends!

#10 bfloch

bfloch

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:59 AM

You may be missing a few facts.

You have to be aware though that Matt Leonard who used to make Fusion classes at Sphere VFX and FXPHD not is Head of Nuke Accreditation Training at the Foundry. With this job change it is totally understandable that he stopped producing Fusion videos. If there hasn't been anyone to fit in his spot that might be because everyone is busy with production work :) Derk - who did a lot of the CMIVfx Fusion covers is a good friend who sailed the world for the last years which explains the silence on this side. It is really hard for us to control what third-parties produce.

On our side we can do things. However there are legal restrictions - if you want to use (the good stuff) production material it most often is a case to case negotiation. Especially when movies are still in cinema.

We did several demos which explain the various steps, tools and techniques in production on shows and demos for the last year.There have been various interviews which explain a lot of the tools - which ultimately came from Anonymous. If you have the feeling that you missing something just give as a call. We can arrange personal remote demos. Also you have a bunch of talented people sitting on productions all over the world just a few forums posts away.

But your feedback was acknowledged. I will make sure that releases get proper highlighting from our side. Just keep in mind: The past showed that whenever you don't hear from us - we are working on something cool ;)

#11 ChadCapeland

ChadCapeland

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,975 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:42 AM

The stuff I saw at SIGGraph this year blew my mind. How much of that I would have seen if I wasn't there, as most people were not? Hard to say.

Some things COULD be done first party though... No, you can't show production comps, but you could show some examples of the totally nutty menu editing capabilities in 6.4. Or you could show some examples of how Fusion works on Linux (which sounds weird, I know, but honestly, when have we seen anything related to it working, yet we hear all the time how it doesn't). Maybe discuss the 120 fps playback solution (which again, sounds weird, but you guys are the one mentioning it).

#12 Tilt

Tilt

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:59 AM

why not publish the comps for the orange bubbly particle system that was on the 6.4 banner on the website? or the day4night simple stereo conversion alley shot that exists in a youtube vid? so users can play around with.

Chad's right. I wasn't at any trade show and to me it's like eyeon wasn't either. Because besides a discount offer there's zero evidence in the form of videos or newsletters. What Chad mentions sounds newsworthy!

The menu editing of 6.4 isn't even advertised in the "new features" bullet points that get repeated. From my experience customization options were a reason why people choose Nuke 2 years ago. And now that the development effort has finally been done in Fusion it's not advertised?

#13 mattdleonard

mattdleonard

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:59 AM

You may be missing a few facts.

You have to be aware though that Matt Leonard who used to make Fusion classes at Sphere VFX and FXPHD not is Head of Nuke Accreditation Training at the Foundry. With this job change it is totally understandable that he stopped producing Fusion videos. If there hasn't been anyone to fit in his spot that might be because everyone is busy with production work :) Derk - who did a lot of the CMIVfx Fusion covers is a good friend who sailed the world for the last years which explains the silence on this side. It is really hard for us to control what third-parties produce.

Thought I'd jump is as Mr. Floch mentioned me.

Firstly we didn't stop making Fusion videos because of any falling out with eyeon, I believe we still have a good relationship with them though we haven't been in contact for a while now. I saw Steve and Eric at Siggraph and they where always chatting to customers. The reason we stopped was just the market changed in our neck of the woods and we changed to.

I'm sure eyeon would be delighted if someone had some time to record some videos for them. The fact that you are all still here, dedicated Fusion uses says so much about you and I'm sure you have a lot of great things to say about why Fusion still 'sucks less' :) Your demos and tutorials will help to get the news out about Fusion which can only help eyeon and the compositing community at large. The 3D system is still one of the best of any compositor, just see the work SecondMan did in Anonymous. Maybe someone could produce some videos showing the power of 3D in Fusion?

For me I am happy in the Nuke world but that doesn't mean someone else cant step up and start shouting about Fusion. Maybe someday there will even be a podcast dedicated to compositing as a whole, not just one tool but everything. That may be another place for fusion news to be voice ;)

Anyway, stay supportive of eyeon, they have been around for a very long time and have weathered many storms. As for me I'm heading back to the world of Nuke.

Looking forward to see your videos online somewhere.

Matt

#14 bfloch

bfloch

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:01 PM

Thanks Matt.

#15 pingking

pingking

Flying Pig