15 replies to this topic

#1 French_Fry

French_Fry

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:22 PM

I know this topic has been discussed over and over, sorry.

My goal is a moving camera in front of a pier with water beneath. I have an fbx of the pier, and want to get reflections onto water.
I've followed a few tutorials and watched Rony Soussans Nvidia presentation, but still can't get what I need. I'm so close...

Simple reflections, I get. flipping the scene -Y and reprojecting back onto the plane. That's working.
Where I'm stuck is adding the displacement. I have 3D water displacement ( thanks to Michael Vorberg), but that doesn't displace the projection.

So I decided to try the approach in this tutorial.

I created 6 cameras for which my front camera was the same as my main tracked camera, and all other cameras were parented to it. I render them to the CubeMap ( Coordinate System : Eye) and pipe CubeMap back into the Reflect node. The 3D displacement works great on it, but reflections do not remotely line up. I tried playing with all the rotations. The video is great, but the person showing it never clicks on a tool, so I don't know what the settings should look like.

Any tips on how that is supposed to work. the reflections and displaced water on Anonymous looked great, but I'm kinda lost as how to get even close.

Thanks

Joël
  • Attattaft likes this

#2 SecondMan

SecondMan

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:39 PM

Your 6 camera setup should be at the other side of the reflective surface, not in the same spot as your scene camera.

Like this little diagram here:

Posted Image

So if your scene camera is the eye on the right hand side, your 6 camera reflection map setup should be at the eye screen left (because that is what the reflection would "see").

The quality of your results will also depend on what you mean with "moving camera". It's ultimately still a hack, so there are pretty severe limits to this method, as you might expect.

#3 French_Fry

French_Fry

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:41 AM

ahaaa.....Thanks! Will work on that.
As far as the camera move, it doesn't move a lot. It's a left to right dolly, so I'm hoping it will work.

#4 French_Fry

French_Fry

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:42 PM

So I got the reflections working. Well, it almost lines up, but I figured that with the displacement on the water it would be acceptable.
My concern is that when the displacement is applied to the water surface, the reflection shifts somehow and the reflection of the pier is visible behind the pier, as opposed to between the camera and the pier. I thought that maybe the displacement shifted the surface too high or low which would change the angle..but the water surface isn't moving much besides the waves.
Posted Image

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas...

Joël

PS: trying to upload image

#5 jonangelo

jonangelo

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:32 AM

For me a two part reflection distortion works well;
* Invert the reflection map and soften it bit up. Use it with a negative distortion value.
* Add another distortion to the already distorted output. Use the uninverted distortion map with a positive distortion value, crisp not softened.

Does this make any sense?

/Jon

#6 French_Fry

French_Fry

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:24 PM

Hey Jon...I'm sure it makes sense, but I'm having a hard time following you. When you say negative distortion value, do you mean displacement?

On another note. It is the displacement that is creating the reflections appearing in the background. My work around ( for now) is the use a BC node and with mask to tone down the displacement happening in the back of the scene. That seems to fix the illusion. :)

#7 French_Fry

French_Fry

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:57 PM

Many thanks for all the tips, and to those awesome compositors ( Uncharted Territory?) who figured out how to get water reflecting and animated in fusion. I used their techniques in production on a music video that was released yesterday. It was awesome once I got all the settings right. I was able to crank through several shots a day, and change environments without too much pain. Shots rendered in 2-4 minutes a frame, which is a lot better than waiting for 3D dept to render for at least that long, and then have to import and comp over.
All the pier shots in the music video were done in Fusion. We brought in an FBX of the pier extension with rendermapped textures for the different lighting set ups.
link to the music video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=92bPTDwm7W8

Here's an example frame.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 SecondMan

SecondMan

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:06 PM

Nice one French_Fry! :)

Happy to see you got it to work so nicely. Congrats! :)

#9 Dunn

Dunn

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:08 PM

WoW, Joël, Looks really good! Great Job!

#10 pingking

pingking

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:50 PM

nice to see it worked out that well!

are the fireworks livefootage or particles?

#11 French_Fry

French_Fry

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:47 PM

Thanks guys! :mf_prop:
For the fireworks, I was thinking I was going to have to create them, and had already spotted some nice tutorials/tips from Gringo, but luckily, we were able to grab footage from the Safe Haven movie. I just merged them over the night skydome to get the reflections working.
Oh, and thanks to you Pingking for the water displacement comp I got from your site!

#12 pingking

pingking

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:29 PM

you're welcome

#13 Tilt

Tilt

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:34 PM

Is there a version of this video on vimeo or do you have one without soundtrack? Unfortunately, Youtube has blocked the video in Germany due to legal issues with our (much-hated) music-rights management institution :-(

#14 Dunn

Dunn

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:43 PM

Hey Tilt, yeah GEMA Sucks! .. you can check it out here : http://es.musicplayo...m/play?v=202341

#15 jonangelo

jonangelo

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:43 AM

Looks great :-) well done.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users