Photo

After Volume Masking....volume Painting?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 French_Fry

French_Fry

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:50 AM

Some interesting piece of software using uv are coordinate pass. It also seems to handle keyeing and color correcting.
Still in early stages but seems like this would be a good addition to volume masking. :)

http://www.youtube.c...v=7DEQBfVURkQ#!
  • Yder2dedxnq likes this

#2 ChadCapeland

ChadCapeland

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,975 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:08 AM

Looks like KrazyKey. It seems from the description to be a 3D lookup. We originally developed KrazyKey not as a keyer, but as a 3D painter where you would transfer 3D color coordinates from one image sequence to another.

EDIT: Yeah, that's exactly what he's doing... , but it's extended to N dimensions.

#3 SecondMan

SecondMan

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:23 AM

Hah. I seriously have to checkout KrazyKey further... :)

#4 ChadCapeland

ChadCapeland

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,975 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:56 AM

Not really. The CUDA version is broken, we need to revisit it for OCL, or at least use a more recent version of CUDA.

#5 SecondMan

SecondMan

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:39 PM

Ah. That was an anticlimax.

:)

#6 Tilt

Tilt

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:57 PM

so... is krazykey "prior art" for his "patent pending" software? <_<

#7 ChadCapeland

ChadCapeland

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,975 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:47 PM

Depends what's in the patent. But I doubt he has the resources to defend a patent claim against us anyway, so I'm not concerned.

#8 French_Fry

French_Fry

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:38 AM

So in theory, could one use the volume mask and it's wpp, and kazykey ( or whatever this software is using the coordinate pass and uv pass) together to have somewhat of a tracking volume mask?

#9 ChadCapeland

ChadCapeland

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,975 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:22 AM

Before Fusion had WPP and Volume Mask, we were doing the same thing with our own toolset. The idea being you have a source and target image, and you sample the source image pixels using a mask and find the same colors in the target image and construct a point cloud from that. 3D histograms help visualize this. Now you can use the point cloud as is or apply filters to it to do masking, painting, culling, etc. If you accumulate the point cloud, you can get painting.

The hard part is the sampling to find where in the target image the source image samples exist. So for each unique 3D coordinate you need to sample all the pixels and map out their 3D distance from the point set. That's why we did it with CUDA. It went from being too slow to be practical to occasionally realtime. :)

#10 SecondMan

SecondMan

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:02 PM

I know you have a ton on your mind right now but do you think KrazyKey will be updated to a working 64 bit version any time soon?

#11 ChadCapeland

ChadCapeland

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,975 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:22 PM

We always said we'd wait until we had a need to do it, and we never did. The projects we were using it on, those shots never reoccurred. We wanted to do an OCL version and an updated CUDA version and compare the performance, but just never had a need to.

Thing is, the OCL implementation would be so easy, it could be done in a pretty short time if I just got around to it, but time is in short supply. That's the problem with tool making. There's rarely a good time to make them, you either don't need them or you needed them yesterday.

#12 SecondMan

SecondMan

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:16 PM

Haha, I know exactly what you mean. :)

Ah well. I shall remain patient.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users