#1 alt

alt

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 07:42 AM

Hi,

It seems that when importing meshes into Fusion every single face gets separated from all the others (they're not separated in the 3d app). This results in faces leaving gaps when using multiple 3d displaces in chain. My goal is to render out deformed meshes as OBJs but I don't want them to have gaps between each face. How to override this behaviour, has this been fixed in latest Fusion?

#2 maxic

maxic

Member Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 08:58 AM

There is no such problem, all imported objects are usually correct.

#3 alt

alt

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:58 AM

Do this:
1. import a subdivided plane into Fusion from 3d app as OBJ, 3ds or some such
2. add uvmap 3d node to get proper planar fit to your plane
3. add fastnoise and connect it to a 3d displace (luma displace) - notice that everything displaces as heightmap and as expected
4. add second 3d displace after the first one with the same fastnoise texture (to displace along the new face normals, adding bulge)
5. behold the breakage

This doesn't happen with internal Fusion 3d shapes except where they have seams (like sphere). So it seems that importer splits things at every edge. First displace doesn't reveal this and I suspect it has something to do with normals.

#4 Tilt

Tilt

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 10:24 AM

This is indeed a shortcoming of Fusion. There was some talk long ago about why this is and if I remember correctly it had to do with limitations of a really old fbx standard that was prevalent when the 3D engine of Fusion 5 was built... maybe somebody else can chime in?

Since the short teaser for Fusion 7 mentions both a new 3D engine AND the latest FBX standard, this might have been rectified. And given eyeon's firm commitment to the GPU I guess we're in for a surprise of what their new engine can do.

#5 alt

alt

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 03:30 AM

Ok, so is there a workaround? As I can only use one displace before mesh breaks can I somehow bake the effect of two height maps into one RGB displace? I tried to do something similar with createbumbmap for horizontal displacement and then use a custom tool to combine the stuff, but the effect is not bulgy. How to create necessary displacement data from heightmap so it would look like heightmap is applied second time after normals are recalculated?

edit:clarified

#6 alt

alt

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:25 AM

Okay, in case anyone else ever needs this,

One (probably wrong, but somewhat working) solution is to prepare four point gradient with background tool, giving out flat absolute RGB displacement (G up). Then adding bumpmap generated from the heightmap into horizontal RB channels and original heightmap into G channel. Then tweak custom tool functions to fit the need.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users