#1 French_Fry

French_Fry

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:40 AM

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone has successfully imported particles or pointclouds into Fusion. I saw on the mailing list there was a Fuse Isaac had written or something, but I don't see it on vfxpedia or anywhere.
To be more precise I'm looking to get particles form Softimage to Fusion, but any help or direction would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Joël

#2 ChadCapeland

ChadCapeland

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,975 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:39 PM

You can no longer directly create/affect particles in Fusion. Isaac's fuse wouldn't work anymore if you did have it. The best you can do is import the particle geometry with the proper vertex channels.

#3 French_Fry

French_Fry

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 01:25 PM

well...I've never done that before, and I don't even think I would know how to approach that. Are you talking about all the emitted particles replaced by geo exported as an FBX. Then you would use the vertex channel to drive the motion of the individual geo meshes somehow? Is that one of your crazy fuses or something? :mf_prop:

#4 ChadCapeland

ChadCapeland

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,975 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 03:07 PM

No, we have a plugin that loads .PRT files. But we can't turn them into Fusion particles anymore, we can only turn them into meshes. Millions of tiny cubes, tets, tris, etc. You can embed channels for velocity and color and density and such, but it's still just a mesh, you can't convert it into Fusion particles.

#5 French_Fry

French_Fry

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 03:57 PM

Ok, so it sounds like a pretty definite "no, it's not possible". back to the drawing board...

#6 SecondMan

SecondMan

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 04:32 PM

What is it exactly that you are trying to do? Creatively I mean...

#7 French_Fry

French_Fry

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 06:01 PM

Creative: Particles representing Data flying through racks. My thought was having the particles splitting into different streams flocking together.
I'm somewhat familiar with some of softimage ICE compounds for doing this sort of stuff, so I was thinking of doing it there, then bringing over particles. I was looking forward to trying out some krokodove connect stuff with those.
So I guess you're going ask why not do the particles in Fusion. Well, 2 reasons.
-1. flocking in FU is broken. it doesn't network render and it doesn't cache either. It's been confirmed by eyeon for over a year, but seems I'm the only person that has had an issue with it. :(
-2. I can't figure out how to get a "flow around" where the particles don't run into the rack, but rather readjust their position. I've tried the avoid node but the particles just run into the racks, then race around the edges. Not as much the flow around.
All that to say, it's not big deal. I know what I'm going for. I just need to figure out the best tool to do it, or best way to fake it. :)

#8 SecondMan

SecondMan

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 06:10 PM

I wonder how far you could get with meshes instead, and Replicate3D... Although I suspect it might get really slow that way.

Fusion shifting many thousands of particles is no problem. Many thousands of vertices through Replicate3D is another thing altogether...

#9 Dunn

Dunn

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:52 PM

Hey Joël,
Have you seen this here: Fusion Point Cache Loader
http://www.rpmanager...?id=cacheloader
I haven´t used it myself..so i can not say much about it. Maybe it works out for you.
Goodluck! :)

#10 ChadCapeland

ChadCapeland

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,975 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:30 AM

For Point Cache, you'd need to maintain the particle count. Probably not too hard, just an FYI.

#11 Dunn

Dunn

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 08:27 AM

Hey Joël,
i just stumbled upon this : new emTopolizer2 from Eric Mootz. Its got some really cool ICE nodes to export Particles to Geo from XSI

°Dunn

#12 French_Fry

French_Fry

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:00 AM

Thanks Dunn,
I'll have to check that. We actually have most of the Mootzoid plugins. They are really great!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users