3 replies to this topic

#1 vladi013

vladi013

Advanced Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 12:02 PM

Some side project just got in today and people who shot it are not satisfied with total lack of depth of field. In other words they used cheap equipment to shoot it and now suddenly they have a change of hearts which means post-production department will take care of it.

Shots are all still with no panning and we have two subjects talking to each other against landscape. Shot does indeed look flat.

Anyway I have no desire to roto this nor I can track a shot to generate depth map so I was wondering if someone knows some affordable solution to generate proxy depth maps. I know there is some haze plugin for Photoshop that removes haze on landscapes and it can also generate a depth map but its for single frame. Well maybe it works with Photoshop video I have to try. I have no access to Silhouette S3D either.

Is there way to do this in Fusion maybe? I never tried.

#2 mdharrington

mdharrington

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 05:48 PM

outdoors they probably closed the iris a lot....which will flatten everything...especially if shot at a distance with a long lens...

if shots are still with no panning....it's probably possible to create a difference matte combined from various frames....so at least your moving actors are auto roto'd

then I would be tempted to piece together some proxy geometry and using matte's for trees ect to get some depth values from fusion 3d scene....then add a depth blur or some fog
to really add some depth you could have some 3d particles floating in the background as pollen ect

also grading can add some depth cues....usually warm up the foreground a bit and cool off the background

#3 vladi013

vladi013

Advanced Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 05:20 AM

Yeah... Difference matte was the way I guess. It turned out pretty decent for what it was. I slapped some depth blur, haze and called it a day. Was not in a mood for 3D particles really :) But I wrapped it up with a nice grade in Scratch so they were quite satisfied with the result, they will most likely use the color theme for the whole project. Its an old trick how to fool the film guys, just amp the grade, introduce some color harmony and they think the shot is done, works every time ;) After all they got all this for free but I don't mind since I tried something different and I got to call the shots and decide when "it looks done". Thank you for the tip mdharrington!

#4 mdharrington

mdharrington

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 06:17 PM

glad it worked....

as a rule if i have any influence on the shooting...or shoot myself...I try to remember to shoot a clean plate on locked off shots just in case something like this comes up

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users