• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Deckard

Deckard

Piglet

• Adv Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:16 PM

Is there any reason why Fusion would not display 30 bit color? In Fusion prefs, I have "Use 10-10-10-2 framebuffer" checked (as stated in the manual- http://www.vfxpedia....aks_Preferences ), and "Use float16 textures" checked, and display is set to "HiQ." But I only see banding in 16 bit integer/float image gradients, that is typical of 8-bit images.

I am viewing on a 30-bit capable, Asus PA279Q monitor, connected to a 30-bit capable Quadro FX 3800 card by DisplayPort, in Win 7 Pro. My desktop is set to "True Color (32-bit)." I am viewing 16 bit exr images generated from Lightwave, and also viewing the commonly referenced "ramp.psd" file found on the AMD site- http://www.amd.com/u...-photoshop.aspx I also have a second monitor, displaying 24-bit color, for comparison. I see the same banding in gradients on both the 24-bit and on the 30-bit monitors, in Fusion.

Any thoughts on what else I could try would be much appreciated. So far, Asus and Nvidia support is unable to offer a solution. So I am wondering if there could be a glitch in Fusion.

#2 mdharrington

mdharrington

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:35 AM

it usually is a driver issue within the app....

I pulled out my quadro so I cant test right now, but before only Adobe premiere was giving me 10bit color...

Matrox claimed 10bit from fusion as well....then I contacted there support saying the output had more banding then an 8 bit image and was likely 6 bit...
they then changed there literature to say 8 bit RGB and 10 bit YUV....

anyway, I cant give you any advice other then I never got it working with Fusion....but did with Adobe...Premiere specifically as well as cineforms 'First Light' app...and 1 or 2 others
My quadro is sitting on a shelf as i got addicted to octane render and stuffed 4 gtx cards in my case :)

The best thing to do is check your display chain.....grab a demo of PPro and run your test "ramp.psd" onto the monitor....if it is banding free you have 10bit

If it isn't there may be a hardware issue, for instance on the quadro's....usually only displayport out is 10bit...and perhaps only certain inputs on the monitor are also 10bit...usually always displayport...sometimes HDMI...sometimes DVI-D

Once you are sure you have the display chain working...then you can attack the problem in fusion.

I never actually had it working through fusion

#3 isotron

isotron

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 06:13 AM

do not mix de definitions, ......the number of bits used to indicate the color of a single pixel, in a bitmapped image or video framebuffer, or the number of bits used for each color component of a single pixel.

so 16bit EXR means 16bit-R , 16bit-G, 16bit-B. 16bit-Alpha. so u have 4x16bit at all .

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Color_depth

#4 mdharrington

mdharrington

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:20 PM

Who's mixing definitions?

#5 ChadCapeland

ChadCapeland

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,975 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:17 PM

Works out of the box here. Every Quadro workstation I've ever used with a DP monitor ran this without any special setup.

Do you have "Deep color for 3D applications" enabled in the driver control panel?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users