#1 morazzy

morazzy

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 08:24 PM

Hey Guys,
So I was doing some testing with using normals and I noticed that when I have two sets of geo crossing over each other you get an unsatisfactory blending/Aliasing on the intersecting edge. As you can see in the image provided, the software render is much worse than the OGL render set with super sampling on. Now, if Super Sampling is off, yes the software rendering on the non intersecting edges are rendered much better, this I would expect. However, I would also expect that the intersecting edges would also look much better.
I then rebuilt Eric's example on Normal aliasing just to see how this turns out compared to mine. Well he had his set to OGL rendering, so I could not compare.
Also, please don't tell me to use the OGL Renderer then ;-)! That is not what I looking for, I would like to know if this is repeatable with other people? I am on version 6.4 build 1118. Or am I missing something completely? I don't think this is the case, but I must say, if this is normal, it needs to be fixed!

Thanks, and cheers

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=25FF75936A8033F3!5521&authkey=!AJKueO9peSezKJ8&v=3&ithint=photo%2c.jpg

p.s. I can't seem to able to upload my still for some reason, I get an error 500. I will try something else here with the link. Let me know if it does not work.
This site really does not like IE11

#2 isotron

isotron

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 04:01 AM

maybe it helps rendering twice the resolution u need, and then resizing it...

#3 iLuso

iLuso

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 04:13 AM

morazzy

It's normal for Software Render. SuperSampling for Software method have very high cost. Use OpenGL, or resolution tweak as Isotron said.

#4 morazzy

morazzy

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 02:15 PM

Hey, thanks for the response, but as I said in my opening post, those are solutions, that frankly I was not interested in. I do appreciate you taking the time to offer your thoughts, but I was just wanted to know if this was normal, and you stated it is. Well, in my opinion this is not really correct, and shows that if you want good rendering you really need to go to a cg package. Sure I can double res the image, but that produces an unacceptable result. The OpenGL rendering is a solution, but it is also using a super sampling method, that I am not a big fan of.

Cheers

#5 pingking

pingking

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 03:13 PM

for some not so complicated stuff you can also try to use my 3delight plugin ;)

compared to the software and ogl renderer its slow as hell, but AA is no issue there and you can get other nice effects too

#6 Tilt

Tilt

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 03:42 PM

Hey, thanks for the response, but as I said in my opening post, those are solutions, that frankly I was not interested in. I do appreciate you taking the time to offer your thoughts, but I was just wanted to know if this was normal, and you stated it is. Well, in my opinion this is not really correct, and shows that if you want good rendering you really need to go to a cg package. Sure I can double res the image, but that produces an unacceptable result. The OpenGL rendering is a solution, but it is also using a super sampling method, that I am not a big fan of.

Cheers

Just out of curiosity, how else does a renderer produce antialiasing, if not by super sampling the image?

#7 morazzy

morazzy

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 07:30 PM

Hey tilt,
Yup, you are totally correct sampling is always done to render nice edges, no matter what. However, if for example you are doing a render with pingking's plugin, or say Vray. Then you have much more control over the sampling, in my opinion you do. So if you are just doing super sampling, ie making the image bigger and scaling down, and without any regard to textures and how they are filtered, you could get results that you do not like so much. Yes, you have some control within the OGL Rendering tab, such as the reconstruction filter, which I will fully admit I was not playing with much, and the tweak filter. I am now getting some good results, but I still stand by the fact that outside rendering will always give much better results. However, for what this is and how fast it is, the results in the OGL are not bad. I should have been more clear in saying that under the OGL Rendering the super sampling in regards to the sampling of the texture I am not a real big fan.

Back to my original question, under the software render, why will it not sample the edges of intersecting objects? I don't understand why this would not work?

Cheers, and thanks for the constructive comments!

#8 Tilt

Tilt

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:25 AM

I see. Your point that sampling of the texture and sampling of edges should be two things makes sense.
Let's see what Fusion 7 changes in this regard.

#9 morazzy

morazzy

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 06:21 PM

So for anyone else wanting to know the answer, I got one from Eyeon. Thanks Eric for the fast response. It would seem that it is a bug, and they are aware of it. So I guess version 7 will fix this.

cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users