:mf_gap:

#2 Raf Schoenmaekers

Raf Schoenmaekers

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 06:25 AM

To be expected... but tragic none the less.
The 3D market (or even graphic sofware in general) is getting scarce.
Time to seriously learn Houdini... or push Fusion as 3D alternative :-)
.raf

#3 French_Fry

French_Fry

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:36 AM

To be expected... but tragic none the less.
The 3D market (or even graphic sofware in general) is getting scarce.
Time to seriously learn Houdini... or push Fusion as 3D alternative :-)
.raf

My thoughts exactly....

#4 morazzy

morazzy

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:13 PM

I would like to see ICE put into Maya and/or MAX this was one of the most interesting aspects of Softimage. As you said, it was to be expected I think, but a more clear road map of the tech would have been nice for all the users.

Cheers

#5 Galvenon

Galvenon

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:39 PM

Sad indeed. But I always wondered if there was really the need for them to maintain three 3D packages.

I fear the day we will see the same message concerning Fusion.

#6 nt65

nt65

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:32 PM

Sad indeed. But I always wondered if there was really the need for them to maintain three 3D packages.

I fear the day we will see the same message concerning Fusion.

my thoughts exactly

#7 morazzy

morazzy

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:52 PM

I don't think that Fusion will be going anywhere soon ;-)
However, I am still after thinking more about it, shocked that Autodesk has decided to halt development of Softimage. I am glad in one way that they have finally decided to look at why they had three 3D packages. The thing that I don't understand is, in my opinion, why they thought softimage was the lessor of the three packages? I mean Maya is good, but they have been working hard to get it up to a more modern standard, and MAX, well what can I say, it has had it's day in the lime light. Maya is the standard for sure for VFX. What I am getting at is, they really needed to combine the best of all techs and make a modern from the ground up package. Softimage in my opinion was the closest thing to that. The just put it on the back shelf and let it rot in the back room. A real shame really. Autodesk in my opinion is got to be the stupidest company when it comes to these types of packages. The company is just so big, they don't have a full grasp of what is going on.

cheers

#8 xmare

xmare

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 04:23 PM

;)
perhaps it the other way... Maya is "the High end package" - for the Bigger/Best studios, Max is "low-end" for small shops - no "land" for the "middle man" no matter how good actually the soft is (seems familar ? - AE - > Nuke ).
there is a market, the need... i got a feeling Softimage is "the less popular one" - Autodesk simply sells /sold more Max / Maya licences...., hope i'm wrong

#9 morazzy

morazzy

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 04:50 PM

Yup, that is another good point, they actually sell more MAX than maya or Soft. So good point.

Cheers

#10 French_Fry

French_Fry

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:27 AM

Yeah...we've been using softimage for the past 10 years, and in the last 2 years finally got a pipeline with automation going.. :( Sucks for us!
The frustrating thing is, we have freelancers come in that aren't softimage guys, and seldom do I hear people saying' Oh, this sucks..I like "insert package here" better!" Softimage is a very good high end application and a lot of people like it. People that have never used it tend to like when they try it...but it isn't popular.
For AD, it's just a business thing...pure and simple.

#11 Galvenon

Galvenon

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 04:54 AM

Yes, Softimage got the axe because it was the least popular. Maya is an industry standard and Max is huge with the game and architecture industries. Softimage was always the Fusion of the three. Those who know it say it's good but most see no reason to use it over the other two. Sounds familiar too I guess.

I just hate when companies do this. Buy other software and end up killing them, like Autodesk and Apple do all the time. Specially in the case of Autodesk, where they bought several of the major 3D packages. There should be a law against that.

Although it would be wicked cool if Eyeon bought Softimage. But I think Autodesk would rather kill it than sell it to the competition. Also, Eyeon needs to get money to developed Fusion first, so we can have more updates than once every 16-24 months.

#12 ChadCapeland

ChadCapeland

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,975 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 08:54 AM

I've heard from a lot of users about how ADSK should sell XSI or open-source it or whatever, but even with XSI's lousy sales, it's still a means to boost user numbers for Maya and Max. If they divested Softimage, they wouldn't get that user migration to their other products, but would see those users follow XSI and leave the ADSK ecosphere.

By buying most of Softimage from Avid (who managed it poorly when they got it from Microsoft) they effectively put a competitor out of business while absorbing all of their customers. I doubt many users thought there would be any future for the product at ADSK. At $35M, ADSK got a heck of a deal, and they didn't NEED to recoup it on sales of XSI.

- Chad

#13 morazzy

morazzy

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 03:23 PM

Some Valid points Chad, and I think some have moved to maya, but there will be a sense of disappointment and betrayal, well that be a harsh view, but when you invest in something like a CG package, there is a major investment financially and intellectually. What I mean is, those people may just say, forget ADSK and move to something like Modo or Houdini. They will still have to relearn, but in their minds they are not dealing with a company, that in their minds anyway, let them down the garden path. Just some more food for thought, but I think your thoughts are very valid.

cheers

#14 ChadCapeland

ChadCapeland

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,975 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 07:05 PM

Sure, ADSK won't get 100% of users to move to Maya or Max, but even if they get 50% to, they will keep those 50% from going to another company and they'll cut a lot of costs related to Softimage.

- Chad

#15 French_Fry

French_Fry

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 09:33 PM

I don't think anyone argues that what ADSK did is a good business move in terms of $$$. They ( and maybe a few others like apple and adobe, etcc.) are in a position to pull off such and thing and get away with it. For a lot of studios like ours, there won't be much we can do besides pick between maya and max. Yeah people throw out names like houdini or modo, but I don't think you can use those apps right now as your backbone application....maybe by 2016, but not now. Also, if you move to another, you take a big hit financially. Right now ADSK offers a free migration of your Softimage license to maya, max, etc.... so it's kind like a rock and a hard place imho.
Part of me wishes we didn't have to move to another ADSK app, but I fear it's only wishful thinking.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users