#1 holgerneuhaeuser

holgerneuhaeuser

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:36 AM

Hi,

I´m about to do a job that will be shot an sony f55 raw.

If anybody has worked with this kind of files....I have 2 questions:

- Does Fusion read the files natively or is there a plugin? (At the moment I think I have to convert the files externally)

- Are there any luts, I think s-log, for that kind of files around that work in fusion?

Thanks
for your help
Holger

#2 leif3d

leif3d

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 12:49 PM

As far as I'm concerned, Fusion can't read mxf files. Last time I worked in that format I had to have the files transcoded to EXR files through Final Cut X. I then worked linearly in Fusion with my preferred LUT at the end. Having the exact S-log 2 LUT would be ideal though.

#3 Tilt

Tilt

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 02:51 PM

Since Fusion 6.4, there's support for Sony's S-Log in the CineonLog tool, the Log-Lin Viewer LUT and the Loader (when reading a dpx file).

#4 leif3d

leif3d

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 03:00 PM

Since Fusion 6.4, there's support for Sony's S-Log in the CineonLog tool, the Log-Lin Viewer LUT and the Loader (when reading a dpx file).

The Sony F55 uses S-Log 2 which is similar, but not the same. Fusion doesn't have S-Log 2, but someone technical enough can port it from the LUT supplied with the camera.
http://blog.abelcine...ge-percentages/

#5 Tilt

Tilt

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 05:02 PM

ah, thanks for educating me :)

#6 holgerneuhaeuser

holgerneuhaeuser

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 06:04 AM

Me again:

For me it seems that the best way at the moment is using sony´s raw viewer to convert the footage, because there I can use the correct s-log2 lut.

Problem: the dpx or exr files that you can export from raw viewer work extremely bad with fusion. They seem to bring fusion nearly to a halt. The decoding of the images takes ages and fusion needs up to 10 seconds to advance a frame . Just playing back from the loader.

If I resave for instance an exr sequence that comes from the sony software to fusions exr saver, it is absolutely usable after loading that sequence back in. Very little drag, good to work with.

But I hope there must be a better way, cause the resaving in fusion takes ages because of the slowness of the sony exrs.

I tried Adobes Media Encoder which works fine. Only problem no slog-2.

Has anybody a better workflow for that f55 raw conversions? Or a usable s-log2 lut?

Or could eyeon give us a little pre-update from fusion 7 so that we have an opportunity to process the sony raw files natively? Any scripts? Plugins?

Thanks
Holger

#7 morazzy

morazzy

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 05:53 PM

Hey, this will not really help you at this time. However, I have a stupid question, and that is, are you sure the footage is in SLog2? I only ask because the sLog2 is basically in function the same as SLog. It is just to capture more of the 14 A/D conversion as appose to the 12 bit A/D on the older cameras. However, just because you are using an F55 does not mean they are actually using it. I would think they are, but I thought I would just ask. I can have a look at this problem, but I am not sure if I can solve it in time for you. SLog is really just a true Log Base 10 curve applied with some various values to move and adjust the curve so it capture the material correctly. So it is just a matter of calculating what you would need for the extra 300% values over where Slog Covers. The curve just has a higher gamma by the looks of it, at first glance? Anyone else? If I come up with a solution I will post it.

cheers

#8 xmare

xmare

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 06:20 PM

just in the other thread - there are luts made for fusion for sony slog2 - i think they work:
http://blog.abelcine...6/SLog2LUTs.zip

#9 morazzy

morazzy

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 08:12 PM

Ok, that's great you have some luts, but I was talking about the actual formula... If the luts work then great. Just remember LUTS are approximations and will not give you the exact results that a correct formula will give. These are 3D luts, and we really just need to invert the log compression applied to the image, then do our gamut and gamma converts as required. But I can use these as reference for sure. I had a quick look at these, anyone using these to convert to a linear image, just remember, that these are conversions from Sony wide Gamut, to Rec709 Gamut, with the Rec709 Gamma, at first glance it does not seem to do any Log removal or apply a gamma either, but I did not test fully? Also, if you want to go to a DCI-P3 then you have lost colour values, they will have been clipped from the very large Sony Gamut. Just food for thought! :-)

Oh, and thanks for mentioning the lust, that is great!

cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users