Photo

Any News On Krakatoa For Fusion? (itīs Out For Cinema4d On Nab)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 holgerneuhaeuser

holgerneuhaeuser

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 08:51 AM

Hi

half a year ago there were some rumours about Krakatoa for Fusion.

Any information if they are still developing it?

I´m asking cause they released it for cinema4d on NAB.

Can´t find any valid news on the net.

Thanks
Holger

#2 French_Fry

French_Fry

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:51 AM

Chad was the one developing it. They seem to have Krakatoa SR working fine in Fusion.
http://research.anatomicaltravel.com/

I'm sure he'll chime in at one point.

#3 ChadCapeland

ChadCapeland

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,975 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 12:47 PM

Shortly after Thinkbox acquired the C4D plugin, I did get a call asking what we were going to do with the Fusion one. Sadly, as much as the technology is awesome, and I really feel like compositing is where volume rendering needs to happen (did I mention it renders faster in Fusion than it does in 3ds max?), I just couldn't figure out a business case either independently or with Thinkbox. And we know Thinkbox has been in the Fusion plugin market, so there was opportunity there.

What really needs to happen is someone to actually need it for a project and license it privately with a support contract. We could even bring Frost and Stoke to Fusion, too. Wouldn't that be fun? That would provide the momentum to commercialize the product and get it more solid.

- Chad

#4 holgerneuhaeuser

holgerneuhaeuser

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 01:57 PM

Hi this is what I found out from Bobo, the guy that demoed the c4d version on nab:

Hi Holger,

The Fusion integration was demoed at our Siggraph booth last year, but it was not our development - it was written in-house by one of our oldest Beta sites.
Thinkbox has no immediate plans to acquire or develop a Fusion integrated version of Krakatoa.

We love Fusion (it was the backbone of our 2D pipeline at Frantic Films and Prime Focus VFX when we were the RnD department of said companies), but we have other bigger projects to concentrate on right now Posted Image

#5 holgerneuhaeuser

holgerneuhaeuser

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 02:03 PM

Hi Chad,
does that mean you would sell the Krakatao Plugin privately in the version you got right now. And maybe providing possible updates whenever that may be?
Payment thru Paypal?
How much would you charge?
Additionally I would have to buy the Krakatoa Standalone Renderer, right?
Thanks
Holger

#6 ChadCapeland

ChadCapeland

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,975 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 02:56 PM

Yes, that's why the business model doesn't work so well. We'd be selling a plugin that itself required a licensed DLL. If someone already had a bunch of Krakatoa licenses, then it would make more sense. You can use the MX, MY, or SR licenses. I assume the C4D ones work too. Basically TB doesn't care which Krakatoa you buy. The cheapest one is SR, but many people have MX or MY already. I don't know what the market size is for people who own Krakatoa (or don't mind buying it), do a lot of particle work, and use Fusion. Oh, and they'd have to be interested in the product as a solution. So if you made a Venn diagram, the assumption we had was that the intersecting volume would be too small to support the development effort.

Ideally, we'd sell the plugin for $1500 without Krakatoa. Free network rendering. Problem is, there's too much work to do before it could be sold even on the documentation side. It's functional, but rough. And there's some changes to Fusion that would need to be made and we'd need to modify it for Fusion 7 anyway (which is OK, since some of the things that we wanted to add to Fusion to make it work better will be in 7 supposedly). So the first customer would have to pay more and we'd have to customize it for them and provide training and support (probably, maybe if you were an expert Fusion user AND an expert Krakatoa user you could figure it out). It would be more of a consulting thing. Heck, you could even subcontract the shots out to us if you wanted, but that wouldn't really help QA and further develop the longer term solution.

But if you had a TV show or film or even a specialized commercial that needed a lot of particles to be lit and comped very quickly, it would totally be worth it. Lighting Krakatoa without context is hard, and doing it without the interactive speed of Fusion is hard too. And comping pre-rendered Krakatoa passes is hard, especially if the compositor and the Krakatoa artist are two different people. The nice thing is that you don't worry about the massive overhead of deep images, though you could argue that there is a particle data overhead, but even if you rendered in Maya or Max you'd still have that, so the real savings is not having to render out wasteful deep images.

#7 holgerneuhaeuser

holgerneuhaeuser

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 03:20 PM

Ok, thanks for the answers.
I think I have too limited need for Krakatoa if its going to be in the price range that you specified.
I think I have to do this now and then with the cinema4d version.

Oh my, I really don´t want to think about what will happen if Fusion 7 needs Plugin Updates. Keylight will be dead then.

#8 ChadCapeland

ChadCapeland

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,975 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 04:05 PM

Oh my, I really don´t want to think about what will happen if Fusion 7 needs Plugin Updates. Keylight will be dead then.

Keylight is OFX, no? So it should be unaffected.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users