16 replies to this topic

#1 Pilalitos

Pilalitos

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 06:43 AM

Not much has been discussed about this as information about Fu7 is kept from us at the moment but I was wondering if it will be possible to start working on shots with Fusion 6 and continue the work in Fusion 7 when it is available.

Will the comp files be compatible?
Has any of the standard tools changed and will they give different results with Fusion 7?
What about plugins and Fuses?

The fact that Raf hasn't released a new Krokodove plug-in with obvious bug fixes for Fusion 6 makes me believe that he is part of the BETA and he will release Krokodove for Fusion 7 when available. So... no plugin compatibility.

OFX will hopefully work.

What do you think about the rest?

#2 pingking

pingking

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:26 AM

from the yet known fact i guess only 3D plugins are incompatible, i doubt that the whole core of fusion was rewritten

i guess: fuses and comps stay compatible

plugins probably want

#3 iLuso

iLuso

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:14 AM

Core may be fully recompiled with new API and system optimisations. And I hope eyeon does this.

#4 ChadCapeland

ChadCapeland

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,975 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:35 AM

Core may be fully recompiled with new API and system optimisations. And I hope eyeon does this.

That would mean that all native plugins would need to be recompiled, though OFX and fuses would likely be fine under such a scenario.

- Chad

#5 iLuso

iLuso

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 03:33 PM

That would mean that all native plugins would need to be recompiled, though OFX and fuses would likely be fine under such a scenario.

Yes, but I think we must pay this price, if we want recieve fresh and fast Fu7.

#6 Tilt

Tilt

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 02:01 AM

Yes, but I think we must pay this price, if we want recieve fresh and fast Fu7.

moreover, if they don't do this, all future plugin programmers must use an almost 10 year old Windows SDK to write plugins. That alone will deter them.

#7 Tilt

Tilt

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 06:27 PM

So... looking at the changelog, this seems to be the case:
- new compiler used, requiring recompilation of plugins
- fuses continue to work
- comps can be opened, some antialiasing things and other tiny bits might render differently. many tools that changed their sliders are designed to look the same when old comps are loaded.
- at least in one occation a default has changed (defocus tool). But I guess that eyeon was smart enough to rename the button's ID so not all old comps are now switching their look. Fusion's API allows to read legacy slider values and convert them to new sliders.
- Fu7 comps opened in Fu6 might break or miss tools.
- Preferences are read from Fusion 6 but they are saves in new config files, preserving the old settings if you need to run both versions in parallel.

#8 Pilalitos

Pilalitos

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 07:09 PM

It is nice that we can open Fusion 6 comps with Fusion 7. We will handle the rest.

It looks like the 3D renderer is the same though. I didn't notice anything new about it apart from the new channels.

#9 inohide

inohide

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:04 AM

Oh! we lose Keylight forever?

#10 ChadCapeland

ChadCapeland

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,975 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:19 AM

It is nice that we can open Fusion 6 comps with Fusion 7. We will handle the rest.

It looks like the 3D renderer is the same though. I didn't notice anything new about it apart from the new channels.

There is a TON of changes to the 3D renderer! There is texture filtering, overscan, ROIDS, the ability to NOT render RGB, UV space rendering, HiQ true/false requests, etc. Do note that the new channels only work for particles, though that may change moving forward (it almost certainly is just be some vertex data, so making a shader for regular fixed topology geometry should be possible).

#11 redoddity

redoddity

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:20 AM

Does writing/compiling plugins still need the MFC? In other words, do we still need to shelf out around 650 euros for VS professional just to compile plugins because VS express doesn't include the MFC?

#12 ChadCapeland

ChadCapeland

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,975 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 11:33 AM

Does writing/compiling plugins still need the MFC? In other words, do we still need to shelf out around 650 euros for VS professional just to compile plugins because VS express doesn't include the MFC?

It does. If you are looking to use a different IDE with MFC, make sure it supports MBCS. http://www.microsoft...s.aspx?id=40770

#13 Whelkn

Whelkn

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:10 PM

is there a trick to get it to work? I am at work and we have up to date Licenses but it wont load up. Any suggestions?

#14 SecondMan

SecondMan

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:17 PM

Oh! we lose Keylight forever?

Of course not. Keylight is OFX.

#15 ChadCapeland

ChadCapeland

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,975 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:32 PM

Of course not. Keylight is OFX.

Yeah, as much as OFX sucks, it comes in handy for a situation like this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users