6 replies to this topic

#1 ernesttx

ernesttx

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 07:22 AM

Don't know if anyone has seen these yet, but Eyeon has updated the page with some new videos: https://sites.google...com/fusion/home

1. AO in Live Action
2. Manga City
3. ISS
4. Fusion 7 logo teaser download comp

Thanks Eyeon.

#2 SecondMan

SecondMan

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:33 AM

Always a joy when they don't supply fonts used.

#3 Tilt

Tilt

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:59 PM

must... not... comment... on... manga city...

ok. I can't resist:
Don't use something that looks like a povray demo from 1990 to market a software in 2014.

I wish I had saved a screenshot from back when Fusion 5.3 was announced. They had actual compositing shots back then to illustrate the power of Fusion. I think they were from that Finnish movie "Jade Warrior". Crowd duplication... particle system for leaves... And a shot of the "Fusion" logo inserted into a 3D matchmove of a helicopter shot. To me that was jawdropping back then.

#4 French_Fry

French_Fry

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 01:05 PM

yeah... :( especially sad when you see that link of crytek's Cinebox...
Not the same product, not the same market, but both promoting advanced 3D openGl... and what a difference between the 2.

#5 Tilt

Tilt

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 03:08 PM

Both would in my opinion share a target audience: Fusion's fast 3D system would be great for previz, to move around scenes quickly and to build some quick shaders. Stuff where Nuke and AE fail to be useful due to speed issues or general "not designed for this kind of work" problems.

#6 vladi013

vladi013

Advanced Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 05:17 AM

I was just gonna ask if anyone is doing Fusion 3D render as in-focus eement of a shot. As defocused BG plate for some vistas I guess it'd pretty much ok. Or for drafting as you have mentioned.

#7 Tilt

Tilt

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 07:35 AM

First shot of this video is 100% Fusion. I've built an extendable antenna using 3 cylinders and used the ward shader to get the specular highlight along the side.

I've used the 3D space a lot but never really used the shading system before. Texture projections, matte paintings, re-framing, crowd duplication, flocks of birds, yes. All that stuff where you use live-action or CG as textures and maybe use Fusion's lights to give it some sense of depth in 3D instead of grading the texture. And with texturing you can go really far as this soccer-beer-commercial breakdown shows that was posted on the facebook page. There are many videos on vimeo's Fusion motion graphics that are really great and they all benefited from Fusion's fast 3D system.

I can imagine faking some glossiness or reflections using Fusion's shaders, to augment CG ("Apple-style" product shots) or life action (think rain puddles). But really lighting and shading stuff with the OpenGL renderer? Hm... yeah... is anybody really doing this? I mean commercially, not as some kind of tech demo or webinar playground where you're free to do anything and don't have to achieve a certain look for a client. Hm.. that chocolate commercial comes to mind. Who was it who did it? Xmare? But apart from that?

We all know that a 3D space is paramount nowadays. But I'm under the impression that eyeon's focus on marketing the OpenGL rendering in Fusion as the be-all and end-all of "compositing" is aiming at a target audience that hardly exists. I might be totally wrong, but if so, please enlighten me.

Do Avid editors want car-paint-shaders? Prime Focus? Who's the client they are satisfying with the walking robo-spider, "water" "simulation" where you need to quote every word separately because it's neither simulated nor does it look like water (see footnote), the demo of a smoke plume that - surprise - was simulated in another software and is rendered into that poorly textured medieval city scene...

All we get to see are mediocre tech demos of something in 3D space or even embarrassing stuff like "Manga City" that crosses a threshold where I think it damages Fusion's reputation and they'd better not show something like this. I mean, look at the foundry.co.uk or chaosgroup. Can I comp shots from Transformers or Gravity just by buying Nuke? And render high-class automotive ads or architecture by downloading vray? Of course not! But do these companies demo their products with stuff their programmers built as a testbed for fbx importing or my first results of twiddling with vray for half a day?

As it is now, I hope fxguidetv just ignored eyeon's PR material until Fusion pops up on its own merit because some artist did something really cool with it. And this stuff exists - see the "show us your bits" thread and the facebook page.

So... yeah, sorry. Another rant from me. But I'm moody. I wanted to spend my Sunday recording a UV unwrapping tutorial and couldn't because the "golden release candidate 2" decided it no longer wants to draw Fusion's GUI on my machine :-/

(ah, footnote. I know, Anonymous did some great water. But I'm talking about that cheesy "let's spend 10 minutes to do a rendition of what was done on Anonymous because we're not allowed to use actual shots from the film" water that was displayed on the Fusion 6.3 or 6.4 product page.)

(post edited for less ranting :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users