4 replies to this topic

#1 French_Fry

French_Fry

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:34 AM

So I was wondering if anyone has tested alembic any.

From my initial tests, exporting from exocortex crate (in softimage):

-camera comes in fine, but seems to be split into several nodes... there's a camera which has pos, rot, etc... and then there's a CameraShape which has the camera attributes ( angle of view, etc..) I don't know if this will cause any problems. It's just weird. I had several crashes in the RC1, while just scrubbing. I need to test some more on RC 2.

-A lot of SubD errors. Fusion doesn't support Subdivision surfaces I guess. I'm not too surprised though.

-A lot of FaceSet errors. I don't really know why this isn't supported. This may be normal as well. would love to know if anyone has any insight on this.

Anyone using Alembic and have some tips and tricks?

#2 SecondMan

SecondMan

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:00 PM

Best to send your alembic files to tech@eyeonline.com so they can take a look.

From what I hear, Alembic has a ton of things that aren't standardized at all. Surprisingly, actually, it doesn't seem to be all that mature yet. Stephen Horwat will be able to fill you in on the details I'm sure...

#3 French_Fry

French_Fry

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:18 PM

I might just shoot an email. The particular file I was testing was massive.

#4 bfloch

bfloch

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 04:48 PM

I think it really depends how transforms are layered.
Like in Maya a goup/transform and a camera shape might end up into two separate nodes. If they are parented again this creates even more nodes.
This is similar to FBX internally I guess. But at the end it makes no difference as matrices can be combined without a huge cost.

#5 ernesttx

ernesttx

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 06:13 PM

I tested Alembic out of Lightwave 11.6. It was just a character animation - one mesh and no sub Ds. Worked fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users