46 replies to this topic

#16 Tilt

Tilt

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:39 AM

cool, thanks. Do you know whether I need that skin definition file anyways for the updated elements? Or can I just put bmp files with the same name into my theme directory?

Just tried the Vision and Rotation skins for the first time.
Posted Image

#17 SecondMan

SecondMan

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 12:58 PM

Hahaha yeah don't touch those. They remind me of the "mirror mirror" episode of classic Star Trek where everything nice is suddenly evil.

#18 ChadCapeland

ChadCapeland

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,975 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:18 PM

You need the text file, but the bitmaps can be named whatever you want, so long as you reference them from the text file correctly.

#19 Tilt

Tilt

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 02:04 AM

i'm making progress on the theme file but got some deadlines to deal with :-)

#20 SecondMan

SecondMan

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 11:07 AM

Ooooooh you tease! :)

#21 Tilt

Tilt

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 12:34 AM

I was delighted to find out that while you can't skin text entries and dropdowns (no rounded corners, they are hardcoded to be beveled boxes) you can actually modify the size and padding of a lot of elements!

I'm trying to give the gui a bit more space. I don't know if I've been the only one who was annoyed by the tiny size of Fusion's number fields. Every slider movement immediately results in clipped decimals. When you click a number to edit it directly, you need to scroll left and right to see how many decimals you've actually got and where the decimal point is. Making them 10 pixels wider is all it took. And 2 pixels taller for aesthetics. The range control was especially cramped and will receive additional padding.

work in progress screenshot (icons still untouched)

Posted Image

#22 SecondMan

SecondMan

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 12:47 PM

Yes! So much yes! :)

Maybe this should even become Fusion 7's default theme...

#23 ChadCapeland

ChadCapeland

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,975 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 01:12 PM

How do the range sliders and checkboxes work in practice? They look hard to see.

#24 Tilt

Tilt

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 01:36 PM

I've been experimenting with the range sliders. Maybe I'll do white caps instead of dark ones. But the area you can hit with your mouse is the same as with the current theme so once you come near the ends, the cursor already turns into that "drag me" icon.

The checkboxes... well... they feel like business as usual to me. Just a few more days and I'll have a first release ready for everybody.

#25 Tilt

Tilt

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 01:40 PM

Yes! So much yes! :)

Maybe this should even become Fusion 7's default theme...

Posted Image

#26 Tilt

Tilt

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 04:14 PM

So, here we go! First release of my "Fresh'14" skin for Fusion. With credits to Icons8 for some of the icons I've used.

Posted Image

Download here and place it into your Fusion\Skins directory. Then go to Preferences -> Global -> Appearance and move "Fresh14" from the left list to the right one (below the Fusion 6.1 entry that is already there).

My skin doesn't override everything, so it needs to be applied on top of Fusion 6.1... If you're using other additional skins, things might get random :-)

edit: download and preview image replaced on 2014-08-01, posts below may refer to versions that are no longer available :)

Edited by Tilt, 01 August 2014 - 03:56 PM.

#27 SecondMan

SecondMan

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 12:05 AM

Neat, thanks Tilt! Although honestly I liked your wip on the previous page better. More colourful, just a little more pleasing IMO. I liked the yellows and reds and purple.

The only thing I'm not a fan of in either version is the checkboxes though. Just a little dark and flat compared to the other elements and they get lost a little.

I'm also getting redraw errors on the screwcontrols when they are really thin - see KAK for an example in the Screen Range Finetune sliders.

Hope you don't mind me saying so - I'll be running it over the next few days. I do like the extra space in the number fields already :)

#28 Tilt

Tilt

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 12:53 AM

Oh :-(

but at least some things happened out of necessity. For example, there's no separate mouse-over version for the "locked" or "disk cache" icons on the control panels. And unfortunately, the same icon that's used as a lock or disk cache button is also drawn onto the tool headers themselves if these modes are enabled. So I opted for the flat icons. The yellow ones with black outline in the previous screenshot were meant to be their enabled states, but that can't be done in Fusion. I can test if it works when they are constantly that way. But it might be overkill... I wanted to make sure that the GUI doesn't fight with the viewers for your eyes' attention :-)

Concerning the checkboxes... do you mean the cross itself or the fact that they are no longer beveled like in the default skin?

Will check for the screw controls. It's a single bitmap that gets tiled horizontally, so maybe I need to make it more narrow.

Thanks for your feedback!

#29 Pilalitos

Pilalitos

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 06:47 AM

I like it a lot!

I will be using it too for the next days! The only thing I noticed so far that might need some improvement is the color of the selected options. This faint blue is very comforting to the eye and unobtrusive but it doesn't differentiate much from the deselected (grey) options thus making it slightly more difficult to read instantly the state of the node. Maybe if the shadow gradation was reversed it would be easier to read and differentiate without changing the color.

This is looking fresh though! I like a fresh 2 year old Fusion (still on 6.4).

:D

#30 SecondMan

SecondMan

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 05:33 PM

Oh :-(

but at least some things happened out of necessity. For example, there's no separate mouse-over version for the "locked" or "disk cache" icons on the control panels. And unfortunately, the same icon that's used as a lock or disk cache button is also drawn onto the tool headers themselves if these modes are enabled. So I opted for the flat icons. The yellow ones with black outline in the previous screenshot were meant to be their enabled states, but that can't be done in Fusion. I can test if it works when they are constantly that way. But it might be overkill... I wanted to make sure that the GUI doesn't fight with the viewers for your eyes' attention :-)

Concerning the checkboxes... do you mean the cross itself or the fact that they are no longer beveled like in the default skin?

Will check for the screw controls. It's a single bitmap that gets tiled horizontally, so maybe I need to make it more narrow.

Thanks for your feedback!

Gotcha. I see what you mean about the icons on the nodes. Shame, that :)

But yeah see if it works. I don't mind a little extra eyecandy sometimes.

What the checkboxes are concerned, yes, partly because they aren't beveled. Even though your skin is a little flatter than the standard Fusion one, there is still a little bevel to everything which isn't in the checkboxes. Also I would like to see them turn yellow, too :)

With the screwcontrols it only seems to be an issue when they get smaller than the standard smaller size (i.e. when ICD_Width <1)

Don't get me wrong - I'm liking it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users