27 replies to this topic

#1 Tilt

Tilt

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:39 AM

Since there has been some discussion on Facebook and Linkedin about pigsfly not accepting new users (which might actually explain why it's getting quieter around here) I want to post this link to a free forum software that I found: http://www.discourse.org/

The road to an alternative forum would be long: Server, admins, spam fighting... the amount of potential work and costs is hard to foresee.

Some said that eyeon should run an official forum but I think that will end like vfxpedia (visually unappealing, outdated, sometimes down and also doesn't accept new user accounts) simply because eyeon hardly has the time to even read the forums let alone administer one. So a free forum software, a reliable hoster and a core crew that funds the inital testing period (with the option that eyeon might fund it in the future) would be necessary.

What do you guys think?

I know this flies in the face of the people who have provided pigsfly for free for quite a long time. But what else shall we do?

#2 French_Fry

French_Fry

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:40 AM

it makes me wonder how many extra users pigsfly might have...the community is pretty small. I always thought it was small, because everyone else is on Nuke. But I guess there's a chance it might be slightly bigger if people could actually sign up. :) I do know it took us a couple of weeks to get in when we signed up.

#3 morazzy

morazzy

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:44 AM

Hey tilt,
you have read my mind. I have a server setup running for other things already, so let me see if this can be setup or not and i will let you know. I will have a look over the weekend. Can you give me any other thoughts as to how you may want this setup. The cost can be very low, if the performance becomes an issue, then we may have to upgrade servers, but the cost is really not that much.

cheers

#4 Tilt

Tilt

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:34 AM

I have no idea how much upkeep and hassle a forum takes. I only know that the pigsfly admins do a great job fighting spam because there was one period where something was "broken" and the amount of spam was immediately annoying.

I'm also not volunteering as the guy who decides how to run an alternative forum, I've just seen this software and it looks neat and modern. (They seem to be offering hosted forums or will offer them soon, so maybe that's also a thing to consider). And it even allows for file uploads.

French_Fry: There are 400 users on the facebook page, a bunch on linkedin but maybe a dozen left on pigsfly. The community is certainly bigger than it seems.

#5 morazzy

morazzy

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:42 AM

Well, the software looks really cool, and frankly having discussions on facebook is easy, but a discussion forum, like this once is so much better, at organising and displaying a discussion, or at least it seems that way, since i do not use Facebook, and never will.

here is a good article about why...
http://www.huffingto..._n_5551965.html
this is worth the read...

it is definitely a modern forum so i am not sure it will even be supported on the servers i use, but I will have a look like i said. I would just like to know...

#6 SecondMan

SecondMan

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:25 PM

Well since I asked pretty much the same question on Facebook I'll chime in here, as well.

So far, there have been maybe three people who gave feedback on that Facebook post or are willing to help out, out of the 400+ that are in the group. What that tells me is that people are rather quick to complain but are reluctant to put their money where their mouths are.

That's not to say that a fresh wind in Fusion forum land is not a good thing to happen. Pigsfly does seem to be lacking in some respects. But it will take some perseverance of a small group of people who might already be a bit starved for spare resources.

I've actually helped run a forum myself many moons ago, and it can be a lot of fun. But to do it properly takes time. And there's no way to do it alone unless running a forum is the most exciting thing to do that you can think of. Dealing with the spam alone can put you off forums forever.

I've been mucking around lately with WordPress and forum plugins, to see how easy those can be set up, the modest result of which you can see on secondman.com right now. I set the challenge to set that up from an android tablet with no coding whatsoever. It's not much currently, but it will be the place where I'll start sharing my tools, exactly because of the issues with Pigsfly and VFXPedia. Might as well put it up here now. Take a look if you like. I'd be happy to let us use that place to discuss plans in private if we're numerous enough to call ourselves a team.

For a new Fusion forum though I'd personally look elsewhere for tools. Discourse looks interesting enough but perhaps not tried and tested (or widespread) enough to make it the easiest for us to start with. Also reading that about page made if feel as if those guys are a bunch of weirdos - but perhaps that's just me. ;)

Personally I would go with phpBB. It's used for so many message boards successfully, it's free and I've used it before. It's super powerful in terms of what you can do with users, user groups, multiple moderators, splitting, reorganising topics, polls, uploads, you name it. Another upside of it being so widespread is that there are converters for it should you ever want to migrate to another software. I can host it, too and would even get a domain for it, giving full access to all that for whoever needs (or deserves :) ) it.

But that's putting the horse before the cart, really. Are we with enough people willing to run this thing and make it (look) interesting? As an example we can maybe spare a few moments here and there to chip in, but at some point in the future some of us are going to be doing another one of those 3 month cruchtime nutjobs so there needs to be enough backup (i.e. administrators) for that.

The last thing we want to do is to put a ton of work in, all to end up exactly where we are now (and the question remains whether that is so bad to begin with... )

#7 Tilt

Tilt

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:53 AM

Thanks, secondman, for your insights.

some more thoughts on an alternative forum:

- Would a Fusion forum need subforums at all? pigsfly's distinction between fusion and fusion scripting already seems too ambitious for the amount of traffic. It seems like discourse uses tags/categories.
- wouldn't it be useful for macros/fuses to have some kind of versioned file storage that's also missing from vfxpedia?
- is the number of facebook group users just inflated by artists who wouldn't need this forum bcause they already have a language-specific forum? I know there's a Chinese board. Is there also an Indian one, for example?

#8 ChadCapeland

ChadCapeland

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,975 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:20 AM

Another option might be Google Groups. Anyone on the Fusion 7 beta already uses it, and they have a nice email digest version too. There's no IT overhead, either. The only risk is that Google might discontinue the service, but that's a risk you'd take with private admins.

#9 bfloch

bfloch

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:31 PM

Yet another?

facebook group,
linkedin group
mailing list
pigsfly
and there still is an eyeon room at cgsociety

#10 SecondMan

SecondMan

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:54 PM

They all suck.

We need to suck less.

:mf_gap:

#11 Attila Sziklai

Attila Sziklai

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 07:13 PM

This case is worse then you or I thought!
I was investigating and looked into the Forum Members menu up here. The admins didn't vlidate a single registration since August 2012. You can check it if you order the list by Join Date and go to page 399 in the list where the members started to stuck into a group called validating.

So we have almost 400 pages of validated active members here and it counts say 400x20/page = 8.000
But since that time there are over 2000 pages registered users waiting for validation (40.000 people, last page is 2459 and they are still trying). There are duplicates and bots for sure but the numbers are frightening.

Where are the admins? http://www.pigsfly.c...tats&do=leaders

I guess they were very sad about their Indiegogo campaign (the banner is still up there above the forum).
They are not dead, thanks god, but might be pissed off because the members didn't spent $$ on it.
I could even find Ray on Facebook and on LinkedIn too and it seems his business is active.

Ray's last post: http://www.pigsfly.c...wtopic=7094&hl=
Jeff's last post: http://www.pigsfly.c...wtopic=8360&hl=

Those sounds desperate to me and it clears this situation I guess.

What I think is that they took their hands off this list and don't want to care about it anymore.

At the and we'll need a new forum. Don't know if Eyeon is capable to do something like this.

cheers,
Attila

ps. Did it really take 2 years to get it? :huh:

#12 isotron

isotron

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 03:26 AM

hopefully the Admins will check this discussion soon, so it becomes not a mutiny. ;)

i woul like to have a new forum, with new members, but we will lost, or need to transfer, all the nice stuff posted here.
and i would spend some time to help out, as a moderator or admin or so...

#13 Pilalitos

Pilalitos

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 05:05 AM

Maybe there is a way to transfer all the forum data to a new server/forum if we use the IP.Board platform like this one.

I will gladly chime in a few $ or € if it ends to the point that we will need to buy our own forum infrastructure.

Attila's post was shocking! It looks like we are leaving in a bubble the last few years and the Fusion community is wider than what is reflected through this forum.

#14 Tilt

Tilt

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:57 AM

Sometimes there are users who managed to post something. At least sparsely.

Users with at least 1 post, sorted by join date descending:
  • DjVideo

Joined 12-June 14
    Adv Members · 2 posts
  • pfworld

Joined 16-January 14
    Adv Members · 1 posts
  • gsakatch

Joined 27-November 13
    Adv Members · 2 posts
  • Happypig

Joined 23-July 13
    Adv Members · 3 posts
  • lewin

Joined 21-April 13
    Adv Members · 18 posts

#15 Attila Sziklai

Attila Sziklai

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:12 AM

So only 2 new user in 2014. Isn't it weird?
They surely know something or maybe they know Ray in person.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users