What the...

#4 Tilt

Tilt

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 09:37 AM

A guy at a company I've freelanced at had a testbed for his OFX plugins that also looked a bit like that :-)

#5 SecondMan

SecondMan

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 01:59 PM

Just took a look. I wonder why on earth you would just want to copy Nuke's interface though. It's a shame, they took over all the bad ideas as well.

But it works, and I guess that's impressive in and of itself :)

#6 Tilt

Tilt

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 02:51 PM

but it's got an anti-aliased spline editor, which I hope to see in Fusion before I die :-)

#7 Nsf

Nsf

Member Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 03:56 AM

Just took a look. I wonder why on earth you would just want to copy Nuke's interface though. It's a shame, they took over all the bad ideas as well.

exactly the same question I've asked:)

#8 xmare

xmare

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 04:27 AM

easy answer - "the most used and know (professional) interface on the planet" ... AE layers doesn't count, ADSK flamish UI is patented (i think?, besides who with flame would like to have/learn OpenSource compo app?)
so easy switch from and to....

this itselt gives an interesting inside how compo market is perceived....
cheers

#9 Nsf

Nsf

Member Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 04:43 AM

easy answer - "the most used and know (professional) interface on the planet" ... AE layers doesn't count, ADSK flamish UI is patented (i think?, besides who with flame would like to have/learn OpenSource compo app?)
so easy switch from and to....
cheers

You're right of course;) I was just wondering,why would the guy "copy/paste" the design and don't improve it or change it in some way.
Nuke design looks ancient in this time and I bet loads of nuke users would like to see new UI design themselves (I remember when AE changed design from i think it was version 4 to cs5 and already it was major improvement ).
Inspiration is one thing but "robbery" like that is something else.
For me personaly the nicest UI is in Houdini :) always wanted to see those pipes in FU as in houdini (nicely bended).
Nuke UI is something which looks it was designed in 80s then came big improvement in 90s (lets make it dark) and forget to upgrade the design ever since :)

#10 xmare

xmare

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 04:51 AM

;) i understand
personally i am a fan of Maya style, with Space as shortcut.... and script listener ;)

#11 Tilt

Tilt

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 05:13 AM

Houdini looks like a visual basic shareware program. Fusion like Windows95. Nuke's the best so far.

discuss.

#12 xmare

xmare

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 05:21 AM

no need to discuss... in 1-2years time we will have a Clear winner....

#13 Tilt

Tilt

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 05:52 AM

Ok, my flame bait aside...
Who's currently using the beta of Fusion 7? I've tried to configure it so it has more than just a single tool panel open, thinking I could work like in Nuke (having a list of the most recently used tool panels at hand). But I keep getting annoyed by how unintuitive Fusion becomes:
  • new tool panels open above or below the currently selected one (tech support says it's based on the flow hierarchy but during actual usage that makes it feel rather random to me)
  • no way to dismiss tool panels, just option to fold them up
  • hard to make out where a panel ends and the next one starts (I've tried to address this in my custom skin by having headers with stronger outlines)
  • using the mouse wheel to scroll the tool panels up or down is quirky. It only works if the mouse isn't on top of a tool control. If it is, the control will receive the mouse scroll command. It won't do any damage on sliders but if you happen to be on a dropdown/combobox, its option will immediately be changed by the scroll wheel.
and the most annoying of all:
  • whenever you click a node or select multiple nodes to drag them around, it immediately opens a tool panel which makes the panel you've just been working on move to a different location on your screen or - even worse - in some cases closes it for good.
If anybody's using Fusion with more panels and thinks stuff could be more intuitive... please tell eyeon. I might be the only one so far who voiced his frustration :-) Or maybe I'm the only one who actually *feels* frustrated by this... who knows.

You can say about Nuke's GUI whatever you like, but at least they managed to not pull the proverbial rug from under your feet by making the sliders and buttons you're currently working on jump to random locations on your screen when you touch other nodes in the flow view.

And there's more about Fusion's fantastic GUI :wacko: !
Moving a node a longer distance in the flow view? It won't scroll the view (because dragging a node outside is a necessary operation to put it into the viewer). However, dragging a connection will scroll the view.

Want to fit the whole comp into your view? Ctrl-F maybe, like in the spline editor or viewers? No, that's used for "find".

Want to compare more than just 2 images in a viewer? Nope.

Want to see which tools are connected by expressions? Nope.

Want to see which parts of your flow are used to render the current node? Or move all upstream nodes quickly? The latter has a context menu option, if you have time to search for it.

And my favorite one for last: shift-space bar in an expression field will make Fusion play backwards. Not that I would want that but it might happen if I type something quickly. But hey, at least ctrl-A works to select the whole expression, something that can't be done in the console window for example.

bottom line...
I'm really not enthusiastic about the tiny GUI fixes in Fusion 7 and I think the interface needs to be the focus of eyeon's next "architectural updating".

#14 xmare

xmare

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 09:52 AM

bottom line...
I'm really not enthusiastic about the tiny GUI fixes in Fusion 7 and I think the interface needs to be the focus of eyeon's next "architectural updating".

sincerely - I hope not! i agree that there is a whole lot to improve GUIwise (in fu7 - do You till can't move Transform's Center Control to any position - as You can with Pivot, ?) .
But Fu need more magic in "compositing" areas of compositing app, Now! or Yesterday!
like i said before - 1 -2 years and we will have a winner in compo world...

#15 pingking

pingking

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 01:49 PM

no, there is already a winner in the nodebased world and its not fusion.
but that doesnt mean there is no space for fusion. look at the 3d software market. there are so many players in the market ( there is alot more then 3dsmax,maya,c4d,houdini) and it seems all have their place or niche.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users