7 replies to this topic

#1 vladi013

vladi013

Advanced Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:15 AM

OK guys I am not big on any of the text tools but this time there is an effect I need to achieve and I would need your help to turn this into quick and easy.

What I had in mind was text the flies out on the screen with characters trailing each other by some distance as it flies and then they all base align once text stops on the designated position.

For example we have two words NEW YORK that fly in from bottom to top and stop somewhere at center of the plate. Now as they fly letter N is at the highest position, E is trailing it by a small margin, W is trailing E, Y is trailing W and so forth. Once N stops other characters fall into their position and align with it to make NEW YORK. Just be aware that letters don't have the bouncy/float/shake modifier effect as they do not go over the baseline and drop back on it, they stop immediately at the baseline set by first letter N

I believe this is quite simple but my lack of experience with type tools is preventing me to make it look good.

This is what I have so far:

Txt+ > Follower > Animated Offset in Shading/Transfrom and then I play with options in Timing tab to get the effect I want.
Problem right off the bat is that I cannot do nothing with the easing in splines as letters double bounce at some point. If I leave it without the easing it looks unnatural and stiff.
Second thing is that I am not even sure if animating the Offset is the right way to go, I will have problems aligning it with other elements later down the pipeline.

I am aware that there is manual kerning and I could animate each character manually to get the satisfying result I want but that would be ridiculous so any advice on the workflow would be more than welcome.

#2 Dunn

Dunn

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 11:20 AM

Well, a quick thought ..is that you could add a Perturb Modifier on the animated value ( RMB and insert Perturb ). then animate the strength.
here´s a quick & dirty comp ( it´s maybe not what you want.. if so just trash it ;-) )
Attached File  Perturb.comp   22.05KB   17 downloads

....here´s a simpler version ( play around with the Yscale in the Perturb Modifier )
Attached File  Perturb_simple.comp   17.68KB   12 downloads

° Dunn

#3 ShadowMaker SdR

ShadowMaker SdR

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 03:47 AM

Is this what you're sort of looking for?

#4 vladi013

vladi013

Advanced Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 09:20 AM

Here is what I need. Check out the hot pink node in the comp. But as you can see easing with splines is almost impossible.

I didn't give any thought to perturb modifier but I will play with it. You can compare mine to Dunn's and you will see that perturb gives it very fine and quality easing.

Maybe I can render it when all characters hit the baseline with perturb and use it like that.

Thanks a lot for fast response!

Attached Files

#5 ShadowMaker SdR

ShadowMaker SdR

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 09:51 AM

I don't get it. The hot pink node does more or less what I tried to send you (but apparently my attachmen didn't 'stick')
If it does what you want, what's impossible about it?

It looks just like I'd do it. What more do you need than what's in the comp?

#6 vladi013

vladi013

Advanced Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 11:07 AM

I might fussy so I apologize for it but I am not satisfied with the robotic movement of characters in my comp and as I try t ease it I get double bounce of some letters. Dunn's attempt with perturb mod is what I wanted to achieve as far as the motion flow of letters goes. I think I will catch the frame when all letters are aligned properly and set render range accordingly.

Once again thank you for awesome support! This was fast and quite a time saver. I will be glad to share the final result.

#7 SirEdric

SirEdric

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 01:30 AM

Hi Vladi.

Not sure if I got you right,
but in the attached the Text+ Follower was animated using X/Y Paths, rather than the Displacement Spline.
At least for me, easing seems to work quite fine without any dbl-bounce...:-)

Cheers.

Eric.

Attached Files

#8 vladi013

vladi013

Advanced Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 05:39 AM

XY path is the key to no double bounce I guess.

Thanks a lot Sir!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users