• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Yog

Yog

Piglet

• Adv Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 05:01 AM

Hi, I was wondering if someone could answer a quick question about Fusion's subscription ?

I had a student licence of Fusion 6.3 a few years back, and whilst I upgraded the subscription the first year, I was a bit late renewing my subscription the following year, whereupon the software stopped working. I took the time to weigh up my options, and on balance I didn't see Fusion being developed any time soon (there wasn't even a point release in my second subscription period), so I went elsewhere for my compositing needs.

I'm getting to the end of my education stint, so I need to decide what software I will be adopting for commercial work. I must admit that the acquisition by Blackmagic has really piqued my interest, because I do find Fusion extremely useful, and the thought of a potential push on development / marketing means that Fusion again needs serious consideration.

So the question regarding subscription ... is the commercial version of Fusion time-bombed ? i.e. will it stop running when your subscription runs out, like the educational version, or are you just able to continue using the version of Fusion you had installed when your subscription ended ?

Many thanks.

#2 Rockin

Rockin

Advanced Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 07:34 AM

Fusion will still work after the subscription period has ended, but you won't get any new versions. I'm not entirely sure whether you'll receive bug fix updates or not.

#3 Yog

Yog

Piglet

• Adv Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 04:46 PM

Thanks Rokin.
I supose like most people I'm no great fan of subscription, either through the perception that it stifles long term development (because of the need to justify a new version each year), but somewhat contradictory, if you do sign up sor a yearly subscription the user feels gipt if they don't get an upgrade each year., but I'm realist enough to realise it is the current trend with developers.

But it's good to know that I'll still be able to use the current version if I stop the subscription.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users