#1 Dmerc

Dmerc

Member Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 05:16 AM

Hi, myself coming from Aftereffects trying to make friends with fusion:

I don't really understand the concept of "cliplength" in Fusion. In Aftereffects I am quite used to use short clips of footage in a longer comp to minimize processing. Basically saying: "Merge Layers, but if Layer B misses, just move on." Fusion seems to lack that "Tolerance" :).

In Fusion this always results in errors while rendering:
  • Is there any way in using clips that are not spanning the whole cliplength?
  • How would I handle some footage that is shorter than the whole sequence, without outputting errors?

Cheers, Peter, xoio

#2 ShadowMaker SdR

ShadowMaker SdR

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 05:31 AM

What does AE render if there's no footage available? In Fusion you can work with lots of clips that are shorter than the whole comp, but you do have to have something to render. So you always need some sort of background layer that runs over the whole length of your comp (these can be different loaders as well) there just always has to be something to render. Why it is failing in your case I can't tell without seeing your comp, but this probably is the reason.

#3 Dmerc

Dmerc

Member Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 07:09 AM

Hi, thanks. AE outputs transparent (or black if the output format does not do alpha). Switching to fusion (Nodestuff), you need to get into that FG / BG thing, I guess.

Anyhow, seems to work :).

Cheers

#4 redoddity

redoddity

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 08:08 AM

For most comp work we start with a BG tool (it is also a nice way to immediately see whether or not your comp settings are setup correct) and use that as the master source throughout the entire comp, that way failures (most of the time) won't error the entire comp.

#5 Pilalitos

Pilalitos

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 12:48 PM

I am surprised nobody stated the obvious yet!

Dmerc, if you don't want errors during rendering click on your Loader node. In the File tab you will see the option: 'Missing Frames' at the bottom. Select OUTPUT COLOR and you will see that the default setting is RGBA 0. That's the transparent color you want. Have fun!

#6 Dmerc

Dmerc

Member Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 03:54 AM

Pilalitos, that is excellent! Thanks everyone, this will bring get me further indeed!

Cheers, Peter

#7 doctoritcata

doctoritcata

Advanced Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 09:41 AM

I am surprised nobody stated the obvious yet!

Dmerc, if you don't want errors during rendering click on your Loader node. In the File tab you will see the option: 'Missing Frames' at the bottom. Select OUTPUT COLOR and you will see that the default setting is RGBA 0. That's the transparent color you want. Have fun!

This setting has never worked for me.Not sure what the reason but the loaders are keep failing even with "output color" or"hold previous" selected.

P.S. Oh yeah,I remembered.It only works when a frame is missing within the clip length, i.e. if the loader path is pointing to a 10 frame sequence named 1...10 ,the loader will auto set its clip length and global in/out to 1through 10.And If for example frame 5 is missing of the sequence then the loader will output color or hold previous as per the settings.

But if you try to play/render outside its global in/out auto setting it doesn't work.
Need to set them via holding frames in the loader options or merging it over BG which will auto spread its global in/out over the entire project in/out settings when added in the comp.

#8 ChadCapeland

ChadCapeland

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,975 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 10:25 PM

Or have a tool that inserts whatever image you want when the main input is invalid. We made a fuse that did that called 'else' which would use a secondary input if the primary was invalid for any reason. It's obviously a very dangerous tool because it suppresses errors.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users