#2 alt

alt

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 06:46 PM

Clever! And great story!

I'll test the plugin later, but what are the ISBNs for those books you mentioned? Especially "2nd Grade Maths for Former Italian Journalists Looking For Another Opportunity" touched something in me.

#3 zguardian

zguardian

Piglet

• Adv Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 08:46 PM

Hi, this is my first post;
I tested the plugin, excellent idea, but i could not make it work, i think im doing something wrong; im a kind of new in fusion...

#4 makal

makal

Power Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 04:04 PM

Updated, here.

alt: :) unfortunately, "2nd Grade Maths for Former Italian Journalists Looking For Another Opportunity" was an anonymous manuscript I found down the street...

zguardian: I tried to write some detailed instructions - see the link above.

#5 popo_83

popo_83

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 05:13 AM

hi,

Amazing one.. :t but crashes quite often. :mf_grenade:
Waiting for futher updates. :)

-popo

#6 solagratia77

solagratia77

Advanced Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 09:17 AM

Makal, it crashes everytime I tweak light positions in 3d,
But from what I have seen so far, this is just AMAZING !

Keep it up and hope you figure out the buggy parts...

one question > Do you have any recommended file formats?
for instance I am using

16 bit Tiff --- for diffuse pass
32 bit Tiff --- for depth pass
8 bit Tiff --- for normal pass

should I make them all the same?
Does it have anything to do with stability?

Thanks

-J
SolaGratia

#7 xmare

xmare

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 09:36 AM

Hi!

For better results with z-depth pass and normal pass try using 16/32 bit float formats..

cheers
marek

#8 makal

makal

Power Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 07:59 AM

Hi everybody, and thanks for the feedback.
A MUCH less crash-prone version is almost ready... I'll post when it's uploaded ;-)

As for bit depths, yep, normals ought to be float.. I really don't know much about the various formats for different renderers - I think that Z always comes in a 32bit format, fixed-point or float, but I may well be wrong. One interesting thing to know is to see what happens with a fixed-point Zchannel, if such a thing ever exists: how could Fusion figure out near and far clipping planes? Maybe the related range controls just appear in the loader... anybody?

Stay tuned for the shiny beta2 ;)

#9 theotheo

theotheo

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 08:28 AM

Thanks a bunch for this makal, gonna testdrive it today! Keep it up!

-the0

#10 makal

makal

Power Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 09:57 AM

There comes beta2, still missing many features, but much more stable. I strongly advise everybody to update ;)

Thanks people, and keep feedbacking! (nice verb...)

#11 makal

makal

Power Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 11:40 AM

Hey there! How's beta2 doing? Anybody tried it? If so, and this silence means it's rock solid as for stability and bugs (which I don't think anyway) there's always room for feature requests (as I said elsewhere, in this category there might be things like half-baked shadows - which will seldom be convincing anyway - or uv mapping of diffuse, specular and bump textures).

Hope to get a pong... thanks anyway to all of you guys.

#12 Takichi

Takichi

Piglet

• Adv Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 06:19 PM

Hi Makal,

First of all, I'd like to say that I find your plugin is very interresting and very useful, I'm just beginning to learn Fusion (Comming from AE's and Maya's world) so I'm not the perfect person to test it but I will try to give you some feedback.
For the suggestions: I think It would be very interresting If you could add Shadows, refraction and Caustics (there's an AE plugin, ZbornToy taronites.com that does that)
I also think It would be nice If you could add the texture maping and the environment reflection as well, instead of having to switch from a tool to another.
Hope this will help.

Best regards.

Takichi.

#13 Gringo

Gringo

Associate Administrator

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 10:33 AM

Hi Makal!

Great idea! Perfect work!

One interesting thing to know is to see what happens with a fixed-point Zchannel, if such a thing ever exists: how could Fusion figure out near and far clipping planes?

As I know, fixed point is not used for 32-bit formats.
About clipping planes - there are special parameters in fusion tools, that works with Z.
Besides, You can apply any color correction (brightness for shift or gain for range enlargemant) to Z-channel after converting it to a color channel and then convert it back.

#14 makal

makal

Power Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 05:12 PM

Hi, ha, bazooka! It HAD to be... So I wasn't the first one <_< then again I guess for each 'first' there are hundreds of 'not-firsts' so, from a merely statistical POV, it's not so bad :unsure:
Jokes aside, I had a look at taron's excellent plugin, and, while certainly astonishing (and sporting some stuff that right now I have no idea on how to replicate), it is quite different, in concept and intended use, from Relight IMO. ZbornToy looks fantastic for 'dramatic' character relighting, but doesn't know what a camera is, and consequently doesn't 'live' in worldspace. Relight, on the other hand, is more for lighting scenes (or characters anyway) with multiple, animated cameras - that is, once you make a lighting rig, it will work consistently with all the say 10 moving cameras that make for a single scene - not that anyone will likely use it this way... or maybe yes, for a 3d mograph commercial...

This said, ZbornToy is light years ahead, and it also costs 180$ - worth every single cent.
Relight has been in development for 2 weeks now, and is free - worth every single cent, too :)

Anyway, thank you, Takichi, for linking to such a great source of inspiration ;)

Now I really have to run, but I'd like to add something else about the possible future, if any, of Relight. More later.

A bientôt

#15 oros

oros

Piglet

• Adv Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 08:31 PM

THX MAKAL ! :))
iam new to DF as well, i havnt installed Your plugin yet, but from desription i already know that's what i was looking for :)
if i understand correcty it allow to add extra lights just using zdepth and normal maps, using DF ligst as source ?
if yes, it definitely must be part of new DF version :) i hope that Eyeon will hire You, and You'll move deep pixel stuff to next level.
and as mentioned by Takichi it'll be great to combine it with Taron's ZbornToy (i've heard that AFX plugs work with DF)
i'll post more feedback when i'll learn some basics of DF :)
Thanks again !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users