#1 pingking

pingking

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 03:20 PM

heyho everybody,

this is the most advanced and biggest script thing i ever did. and now i need you to beta test this stuff.

what is it about?
these scripts will bring some kind of reference workflow to fusion. so you can add a comp to your current comp and and somebody else can work on the "referenced" comp. if this person has made changes you can just reload the "reference" and everything should be on the latest version.
if you have some complex comp as "reference" then you can choose to prerender the "reference" and work with this prerendered files. and of course you can always switch back to "LiveMode" (where the all tools are computed as needed)

what is the benefit to use the script?
well, this is a though question.
first i would say "yes, you can just render the "reference" and bring the result in as a loader. this works quiet good and flawless, even updates on the reference are quickly imported. but what if you want to make some changes quickly by yourself? then you have with my method the "reference" right in your comp and you can make these changes
second it is very easy to import and update the reference by script rather than import and update it by hand.

so here comes how to use it:
  • download the zip file and bring all the files to its place
  • in the "reference" comp add the G_Out fuse at the place where the output of the "reference" should be (if your "reference" needs an input there is also a G_In fuse) (see picture "step1")
  • in your comp run the "add_comp" script and point to the script you want to "reference" (see pictures "step2" and "step3")
  • now the script should create a group with all the tools of the "reference" within, but it will mess up the flowview of your comp. this is just a bug in the refresh function i do to add the user controls to the group (see picture "step4"). just save your comp, close it and reload
  • now everything should be fine and you can work with the "reference", to switch from "LiveMode" to the prerender just use the provided button (see picture "step5")
  • to use the prerender there should be a prerender. for this select the group and run the "Prerender_reference" script from the tool script menu (see picture "step6" and "step7")
  • after the render is complete the group can use the prerendered files if you switch "LiveMode" off
  • to reload the reference use the "reloadGroup" script (picture "step8"
  • this script will scan the original directory for incremental saves of the "reference" comp and will pop up a dialog which version to load of incremtal saved versions were found (picture "step9)
  • after this it should add a new group with the new tools and delete the old group, also here: please save, close and reload the comp to have no problems with the display of the flowview

stay with me after all this lines?

so i would like to have some feedback to this workflow. do you think its useable? is it a realistic approach to real world teamwork?
also please provide ideas, feedback and bugs (i know there are some, they must be there because is such a huge script)
other ideas and remarks are welcome

greetings ,
michael

Attached Files

#2 pingking

pingking

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 03:29 AM

okay, seems that nobody has interest in this kind of script. :(

#3 SecondMan

SecondMan

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 04:27 AM

Hold your horses mister, it's been the weekend! :)

I am definitely interested. Will test will test!

#4 PeZiK

PeZiK

Advanced Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 04:31 AM

Hi pinking, this is a great contribution to the Fusion community - specially for those with huge pipeline, I can see the benefits. Fortunately I'm not currently working with such pipeline at the moment but I would definitely dance the victory-dance with your new script if I would. At least I know where to look when in need.

Great work and thank you.

Petur K.

#5 SecondMan

SecondMan

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 05:16 AM

At first glance, I don't really get step 7. Why the render exactly?

#6 pingking

pingking

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 02:23 PM

its just for speed, its like caching the precomp. you don't need to render but then all the nodes in the group will be computet and this can take some time

#7 bfloch

bfloch

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 02:37 PM

This sounds really cool Michael. I have no time to test it right now but will shortly. Could be a huge time saver and keep comps clear.

#8 SecondMan

SecondMan

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 06:47 AM

its just for speed, its like caching the precomp. you don't need to render but then all the nodes in the group will be computet and this can take some time

Myeah, but then what happens is when I put a referenced comp in another one 10.000 frames long, it starts calculating 10.000 frames (which I can't seem to interrupt either).

What I would perhaps suggest is to have some sort of 'hidden' loader in the reference group which contains the prerenders for the reference comp and between which you can dissolve using the Live Mode switch.

Does that make sense at all?

#9 pingking

pingking

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 10:54 AM

thats exactly how it works.
in the created group there is a saver and a loader pointing to the same files. and the LiveMode checkbox drives a dissolve between the loader or the actual comp.
the "prerender" script does only select the saver in the group and renders them for your current renderrange. maybe i can find a better way to render with the renderdialog.

#10 artfart3d

artfart3d

Member Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 04:24 PM

Havent tested ur script PingKing, But if it works... its gonna be a great help.
I see it as, If I am working on a effects shot While I polish my comp, the inputs from the Roto and CleanUp artists are automatically getting updated almost instantly, specially everytime I hit render or preview I get the latest update from my teammates.

and yeah, SecondMan is right .. its weekend, so wait a few day till fusioneers get their hands on ur script.

Cheers

ShaShank

#11 pingking

pingking

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 05:30 AM

I see it as, If I am working on a effects shot While I polish my comp, the inputs from the Roto and CleanUp artists are automatically getting updated almost instantly, specially everytime I hit render or preview I get the latest update from my teammates.

sorry, but it isn't so sophisticated that it will automatically checks for new versions or updates by it self. i can imagine that this is possible in some way, but havent build something like that (besides it would slow donw your work it it would check often for new versions)

#12 artfart3d

artfart3d

Member Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 06:25 AM

nevertheless, congrats for bringing in the concept to fusion pipeline, wish u best...

cheers
ShaShank

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users