#1 thorsten

thorsten

Member Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 08:55 AM

Hi Fusioners,

I'm currently working on my Bachelor Honourswork investigating workflow improvements in multi-pass compositing. For this reason i wrote a Fusion script which automates loading, combining and editing render-passes from Maya 2009. In addition to automated loading and combining render passes, the script offers with the so called Multi-Pass Shader Controller a special node which combines adjustment controls in one well-arranged place. With this node it is not necessary to click through the whole flow to make adjustments.

The script was inspired by the renderpass scripts from Gabor L. Toth and a Nuke gizmo from Hugo Guerra.

I want to thank Christoffer Hulusjö who gave me useful hints at the scripting forum to get that script done.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Within my Honourswork I want to find out how much time can be saved when using the script, in comparison to do it the manual way. For that reason I have created a small experiment. It would be very kind if some of you could spend about 30 to 40 minutes of their valuable time to take part in the experiment, so that I can collect some data. If you want to take part in the experiment you will find everything you have to know at the following website:
http://www.scholzepp.de/honourswork/

If you have any questions concerning the experiment contact me at shlanga@web.de.

I have provided some test images of Maya 2009 render-passes at the following link, so that you can test the script without having to render passes first:
http://www.scholzepp...tipass_test.zip

I would like hear your comments and suggestion for improvements or extensions.

Thanks,
Thorsten

The complete manual for the Maya 2009 Multi-Pass Loader Script is listed below:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maya 2009 Multi-Pass Loader Script manual
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. How it works
The script automates loading and combining render passes from Maya 2009. The following passes are supported:

• Color Pass
  • Indirect Irradiance Pass
  • Direct Irradiance Pass
  • Shadow Pass
  • Ambient Occlusion Pass
  • Refraction Pass
  • Reflection Passs
  • Specular Pass
  • Fresnel Pass
  • Matte Pass
  • Depth Pass
  • Normal Pass
  • Material ID Pass

The passes are identified by keywords in their filenames. The keywords are set to the standard maya naming of render passes (render token: <RenderPass>). The keywords can be adjusted in the configuration area of the script to satisfy your needs. Because of using keywords to identify the individual passes it is not possible that two different image sequences in one folder have the same keyword within their filename. The script cannot deal with the following naming of these examplary image sequences:
images\apple_diffuse.0001.exr
images\bottle_diffuse.0001.exr

So it is recommended to use a seperate folder for each object:
apple\apple_diffuse.0001.exr
bottle\bottle_diffuse.0001.exr

Subfolders are not considered by the script.

The keywords are case-sensitive so "apple_diffuse.0001.exr" is not equal to "apple_Diffuse.0001.exr".

If a Matte Pass is provided it is assumed that the passes are unpremultiplied images. If no Matte Pass is provided the script assumes premultiplied images.

Besides automated loading and combining render passes the script offers with the so called Multi-Pass Shader Controller a special node which combines adjustment controls in one well-arranged place. With this node it is not necessary to click through the whole flow to make adjustments. The following adjustments can be made within the Multi-Pass Shader Controller:

• Indirect Irradiance Apply Mode
  • Indirect Irradiance Gain
  • Direct Irradiance Apply Mode
  • Direct Irradiance Gain
  • Shadow Apply Mode
  • Shadow Gain
  • Shadow Softness
  • Shadow Color
  • Ambient Occlusion Apply Mode
  • Ambient Occlusion Gain
  • Refraction Apply Mode
  • Refraction Gain
  • Refraction Blur Size
  • Reflection Apply Mode
  • Reflection Gain
  • Reflection Blur Size
  • Reflection Pass affected by Fresnel Pass
  • Fresnel Amount
  • Specular Apply Mode
  • Specular Gain

The "Output" drop down list can be used to display the individual render passes after being adjusted by the Multi-Pass Shader Controller.

2. Configuration
When you open the script in a text editor the following changes in the configuration area can be made.

Keywords
Under "set presets for pass keywords" the keywords for the several passes can be assigned. Be aware that the keywords are case-sensitive.

Blending Modes
Under "set presets for apply modes" the blending modes for each pass can be assigned. This default can be altered in the ask user dialog and in the Multi-Pass Shader Controller. So this configuration only affects the default values in the ask user dialog.

Path to source folder
Under "set default path for ask user dialog" the path to the source folder can be assigned.

Color of Multi-Pass Shader Controller
Under "set tile color for controller node" the color of the Multi-Pass Shader Controllers can be assigned.

3. Installation
Copy the file "Maya 2009 Multi-Pass Loader.eyeonscript" to the following folder of your Fusion program folder:
Scripts\Comp\

4. Usage
Activate the script by choosing the Maya 2009 Multi-Pass Loader Script from "Script" context menu. An ask user dialog appears.

Under "Select Source Folder" choose the folder with the multi-pass renderings.

Under "Pixel Aspect" choose the appropriate pixel aspect ratio of your footage.

Activate the available passes and choose the appropriate blending mode. The keyword for each pass is displayed in parentheses.

Click "OK".

The Multi-Pass Shader Controller is colored light blue by default.

The Fusion console offers information about the created nodes and about possible appeared errors.

Remove the ".txt" extension from the attached file.

Attached Files

#2 mattdleonard

mattdleonard

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 09:07 AM

Thanks for this, you have done a great service to the Fusion community.

Really looking forward to playing and will send you some feedback.

Keep up the good work.

Matt

#3 bluesrock

bluesrock

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 01:05 PM

Hi Thorsten,

If I get a chance I'll try and test this out tonight. Great choice for a project. This could be Huge! :D

Its interesting that your script works on 5.3 but not 6.0 while Sven's (aka Redoddity) hos_SplitEXR.eyeonscript works with 6.0 but not 5.3. hos_SplitEXR

Thanks for your work!

cheers,
Gary

#4 Gringo

Gringo

Associate Administrator

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 01:58 PM

Great work!

I'll definitely try it next time I have a full set of passes!

Thank you!

#5 protean

protean

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 03:16 PM

Hey, good script :)

I made something similar at our studio for our specific render passes from Houdini and it's a great time saver. There's also one in in the pipeline to create a complete comp file straight from Houdini or from windows explorer for the ultra lazy.

Good luck with your Bachelors and I'll test the script when I get time (scary project deadline atm)

Cheers

John

#6 thorsten

thorsten

Member Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 09:06 AM

Hi Thorsten,

If I get a chance I'll try and test this out tonight. Great choice for a project. This could be Huge! :D

Its interesting that your script works on 5.3 but not 6.0 while Sven's (aka Redoddity) hos_SplitEXR.eyeonscript works with 6.0 but not 5.3. hos_SplitEXR

Thanks for your work!

cheers,
Gary

Hi Gary,

the script should work on 5.3 and 6.0. It's just not working on 6.0 build 447 because of a known bug when adding tools with a script.

#7 hulan

hulan

Flying Pig

• Adv Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 11:43 PM

I've only had time to try it briefly but it seems to work very well, very nice and user friendly controller to adjust the settings. I will evaluate more when I got some free time and try to fill out your form.

Thanks for sharing this.

Christoffer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users